Before an induction...

Did anyone have any "rules" on if they could eat or anything before you went in? My mom said something about it..but my doctor didn't mention anything that I should or shouldn't do before hand.

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 2:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I could eat before I got to the hospital but once at the hosptial no food. Every hospital and dr. have different rules. Good luck on your induction!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I was not told I could not eat before my induction. Once you are admitted to the hospital they will not allow you to eat anything. I would recommend eating a small meal before you go because it may be a long night or day.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 3:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I was told just a small meal before getting to the hospital. They didn't want my stomach full but my dr also said he didn't want me hungry through the entire labor. If you are unsure, call your dr and ask.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Just check out the Bishop score.

Each components is given a score of 0-2 or 0-3. The highest possible score is 13.

Bishop score Parameter\Score 0 1 2 3
    Position Posterior Intermediate Anterior -
    Consistency Firm Intermediate Soft -
    Effacement 0-30% 31-50% 51-80% >80%
    Dilation%
    Dilation 0 cm 1-2 cm 3-4 cm >5 cm
    Fetal station -3 -2 -1, 0 +1, +2

[edit] Interpretation
    A score of 5 or less suggests that labour is unlikely to start without induction. A score of 9 or more indicates that labour will most likely commence spontaneously.[2]

A low Bishop's score often indicates that induction is unlikely to be successful[3]. Some sources indicate that only a score of 8 or greater is reliably predictive of a successful induction.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2009