does spanking really work on a child?

I am trying to decide on a fitting punishment for my child when he acts out. now, he is three,and on the autism spectrum. does spanking really work?

LSmomof1

Asked by LSmomof1 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it depends on the child. With my boys, spanking does no good. My oldest, it just makes him madder and makes him act out even more. My younger son, doesn't even faze him, if I do spank him he just turns around and does the same thing over again. Now with my daughter, spanking works. I've only had to do it a few times, now I just threaten to do it and she listens almost instantly.
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 3:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I don't know your son's developmental level, but would he understand the concept of, someone hitting him and then getting on to him for hitting or being agressive later. Chidren with autism have difficulty generalizing things anyway. I think that using positive reinforcement and praise for the behavior that you do want to see more of is more effective. Find what motivates him and reinforces him and use that to get more of the behavior you want.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Discipline should be based on natural or logical consequences. You need to evaluate each behavior to determine if spanking is a logical or even reasonable consequence for the actions rather than deciding if it should be applied across the board for all behaviors. Try various disciplines based on circumstances, like positive reinforcement, re-direction, practicing, role-playing, do-overs, etc.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It depends on the child and the parent.
    The biggest keys to ANY discipline method are:
    (1) Mom stays calm. Getting upset at all rewards the child. Stay calm.
    (2) Be consistent. A child can't learn the rules or what to expect for breaking them if the rules change every week.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• When coupled with training for correct behavior, spanking for disobedience does work. www.nogreaterjoy.org www.raisinggodlytomatoes.com
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:23 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I would have to say NO....NOT WITH MY KIDS ANYWAY
    with my kids when they r being naghty i put them on time out....in the corner of the room alone...
    until i say he can come and play again....hope i helped good luck
    n0emi

Answer by n0emi at 7:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Works on my son and he has autism. Worked on me too and I have autism.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• The technical answer: some states have laws on this subject, check them out for your state. After that: I used to spank with my older kids only if I felt they were going to do something to get hurt and wouldn't listen. My younger child I seasoned as a mom with. No spanking. No time out. I put the toy up or take away an activity instead. Time outs - he just gets up and a struggle ensues. That is work for mom and not a lesson for the kid. Putting things out of his reach as a consequence (toy, activity, etc.) takes away alot of the work on my part and helps encourage Him to use self control and stop Himself. He is a happier child for it and we use verbal appraisal for good behavior while discussing bad behavior when it happens (or after things cool down a few minutes). Self control and communication skills are vital at a young age. Then they can clear their minds to learn all the new cool stuff in life they have yet to explore.
    CammyLStevens

Answer by CammyLStevens at 11:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• It depends on what you mean by "work". If you mean will it make your child stop a particular behavior that you want stopped, then I guess in that sense it "works", at least on some kids. But then so would a lot of other less punitive alternatives, so why choose to hit? I personally feel that it is more important to consider what my actions will teach my child in the long run and not focus solely on the immediate outcome. Sure, hitting my child might stop him NOW and let him know how I DON'T want him to behave NOW, but will it help him learn how I DO want him to behave IN THE FUTURE? Will hitting him help him learn self-control? Will it teach him how to resolve conflicts? Probably not. Discipline isn't just about stopping unwanted behaviors. It's about teaching your child behaviors to help him function in the world at large. Hitting is counter productive to that IMO.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• thanks for the answers ladies! :)
    LSmomof1

Answer by LSmomof1 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2009