Fried Chicken question... never made it before.

So, I've soaked the chicken pieces overnight in some buttermilk. Do you rinse the buttermilk off before frying like a brine? Or just take it out of the buttermilk straight into the flour mixture then fry? And how long do I fry for? It's all chicken legs. Thanks.

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 3:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Never rinse the buttermilk. Dredge it in seasoned flour..mine is just with salt and pepper. I only fry in cast iron, but if you dont have any use a very heavy skillet. Melt enough vegatable shortening to make about 1/2 inch deep. Heat your oil to very hot, but not smoking. Place your pieces in the skillet carefully. They should not touch, don't overcrowd. Turn only ONCE for medium legs it should take about 10 mins per side.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Sorry..had to fix typoes..lol
    GrnEyedGrandma

• Can I use Canola Oil instead of shortening?
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• You can..but the crisco/vegatable shortening seems more stable for frying..other oils break down to quickly.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Okay, I plan on using my le creuset 7qt. dutch oven.. it's the only cast iron I have.. it's deep, so should I crowd the chicken even less? Thanks so much for the answers already.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Another way is to use a large stock pot or fry daddy. Filled half way up with oil, I prefer peanut (better flavor). Take yourchicken out of the buttermild and put it into the flour mixture. I use flou, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and just a little garlic powder. Put your legs into the fryer and cover with a metal lid. Leave them alone for about 8 min. If after 8 min all the legs are floating then the chicken is done. If some are still bobbing up and down in the oil, continue cooking for about 3 more min. This is how we used to do our fried chicken at the restaraunt I worked at throughout high school.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 3:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I f you use the dutch ove crowd even less..do not cover when cooking. also i forgot to tell you do not drain on paper towels or brown bags. Use a cooling rack over a sheet pan it you have one. It keeps the chicken crisp all around. On a napkin or paer it gets soggy on the bottom.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Ok thanks you guys for the great answers. I'm looking forward to acing my first attempt at frying chicken!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009