What could i fix and take to his house for him to eat?

My boss is finally back home from the hospital from a severe case of pancreatitis. he is doing very well, but he is a diabetic now. I was wanting to fix something to take to there house for them.Like some food. But i am not very familiar with what diabetics can eat. I know he can't have sugar, but what could i fix for him. He can't eat anything very acidic like with tomatoes, because it tries to bring on an attack. Any ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• my dad is diabetic. he eats normally for the most part, but just needs to take extra precautions monitoring his sugar levels. but my dad loves fruits. maybe a fruit bowl? i'm not too sure because my dad has been a diabetic for so long that he's past the "careful about everything" stage & just eats what he wants. he eats healthy of course, but he doesnt go out of his way worrying about sugar content in his meals. sorry if that doesn't help. everything he puts in his mouth will raise his glucose levels, he just needs to learn to manage it. but a fruit bowl or a sandwich maybe?
    Anonymous

• Does he like veggies??? My FIL was in that boat. Go to a farmers market in your area and get a bunch of fresh home grown veggies. Another good thing, that could be fun in this situation-depending on the relationship with your boss (fun loving, likes jokes etc) would be nuts. None of the honey roasted ones, but cashews, peanuts, almonds, mixed nuts....things like that....a bunch of nuts for a nut from a bunch of nuts kind of thing.
    mamatware

Answer by mamatware at 3:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• ever see the movie varsity blues? I Believe they have no sugar redi whip....i see a raise in your future lol

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 3:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I've had pancreatitis. Don't worry about tastiness. Go for 0 fat content.

Try things like grilled chicken (don't add any oil or butter), or mushrooms cooked in their own juice.
    Clairwil

Answer by Clairwil at 3:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I would go to the deli and pick out a few small containers of different salads. Like a brocolli, raisen salad, a jello salad, chicken oriental salad, seafood salad. Salads that have meat and veggies
    This way all he has to do is grab something without prepping. Or even an egg salad sandwich spread with wheat crackers
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Recent studies have proven that a low fat vegan diet is better for diabetics than the tradional ADA diet. Any of the Dr. MacDougall recipes will be perfect: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

Answer by rkoloms at 4:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2009