Choking!

My son will be starting whole milk soon (he's 11 months) and I know that means he'll need the nutrients from real food now since he wont be on formula. But I'm still afraid of him choking!! Right now he only eats jar food and foods that dissolve easily or are soft. He has 7 teeth and can mash food with his jaws pretty well but it still scares me. I don't know how to get him accustomed to actually swallowing chunks of food. Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• still not on finger foods at 11months> no wonder he don't know how to chew, start him off on some smooshy finger foods & let him grow into a toddler
    Anonymous

• I was the same way with my son.... (he is 11 now) so he survived, start with trying the step 2 or step three jar foods. they gradually introduce chunkier textures. there are also products out there that you can put larger chunks of food (mostly fruit I think) into a net that is attached to a handle (kind of like a teether) that way they are introduced to new tastes and textures, with out having to worry about choking ... I would have bought one if they were around 11 years ago! otherwise just cut the food into cheerio sized bites. and NEVER give hot dog cut into round slices. that is one of the biggest choking hazards out there.
    jenk1

Answer by jenk1 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Anon 3:32: Grow up and go back to school!

Have you ever tried taking a CPR course? It could help! I just took it last week and we just started my son on stage 3 foods, which have chunks of food. I'm still very nervous like you are! I'm looking forward to some helpful advice as well!
    Anonymous

• They make a ton of food that desolve, try it or you kid will be behind. He should already be eating some sort of solids. And he will get plenty of nutrients from the whole milk, and don't freak out when he goes through phases where he doesn't want to eat at all. It's normal.
    Anonymous

• OP: I'm sorry did I not say he was was dissolving food? Do you know of any dissolving foods that aren't FINGER FOODS anon?
    Anonymous

• And anon :35 yes I've been looking into taking a CPR class..I think that will help me too! Thanks :0)
    Anonymous

• I'm afraid of choking too but my son has no teeth and he even gags on thicker jar foods. I tried giving him those little puffs that dissolve fast but he just makes a face. I tried giving him a mashed up avocado but that didn't work either. I guess when he is ready he will be ready. My son is 8 months.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• If you can mash it between your tongue and the roof of your mouth, he can definitely gum it. There is a difference between gagging and choking. They have to gag to learn how to clear their throat/dislodge food. Some will do it more than others. (they had to fall down to learn to walk, didn't they?)

Start dicing up pieces of what you're eating and fixing a plate for him. He should be getting his nutrition from food BEFORE you take him off formula, not the reverse. Diced up pieces are small enough that they may get caught for a second, but he won't choke on them.

As for getting him acustomed to swallowing chunks of food...he shouldn't BE swallowing chunks of food! He has to learn to chew and then swallow the chewed up food. If he's trying to swallow chunks, he's not learned to chew yet.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My son is the same age and is on all table foods and does very well with those and has never had any problems with choking. But look into an infant CPR class to help you feel more comfortable. We started with really tiny things and moved the size up as we saw he was able to do it. Now the size of his food is about dice size for most things.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2009