Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DH paying CS

I am just curious my DH currently pays 1600 a month in CS however because they automatically take half of his paychecks it is literally killing us we can hardly afford anything including groceries, he is going into court this month for a modification hearing, but even with a modification they say he will still be paying at least 1000 a month which isnt too bad but at the same time the problem lyes in the fact that his pay varies from day to day week to week and so on and his base pay is only $400 a week which is only 1600 a month, all the rest is comission so my question is how can they order him to pay more based on his comission when its not a guarenteed amount every month, and what do we do if they order a certain amount and he makes less than that that month? As it is we can hardly afford things for our 10 month old, so what do we do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (19)
  • They base it of his avrage take home pay. Nothing you can do. Its what happens when you have a child and leave or what ever. you pay.alot. How many kids is it for?



    Answer by lostshel at 3:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • op here and it is for two kids, there is no issue at all with paying CS just the amount and really because his pay varies so much its basically like having to choose between either having a place to live or paying cs

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • I totally understand what your saying but if you break it down he pays 1600 a month sot two kids right? so that's 800 a month per child, break that down by weeks and it comes out to 177 per week per kid. Do you spend that much money on you ds each week? figure in food, housing, utlies etc. I know it seems like a lot but trust me as a mom of 4 kids who gets nothing from ex I would be in a world of hurtif not for my DH.Try and go to court and cut it down but just keep in mind that by adding to your income you are taking away some from 2 children.


    Answer by lostshel at 4:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • find a cheaper place. Something that's affordable.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • lostshel- Yeah I have done that math before and all together it doesnt seem like all that much when broken down, but as far as spending that amount on our ds a month really no even with rent included, which BTW the mom in this case does not pay rent or utilities either so her costs are minimal compared to ours, now as far as finding a chepaer place the place we are in now is the cheapest place for the area period, we currently pay 725 a month which weather it be a house or apt is VERY cheap we have no other options as far as that goes, so that anon is no solution

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • drd did the samething to my dh...he eventually had to give up the job b/c it was based on commision and his year befor taxes...he made like 26000.00 that year so the set his cs at 360 a week for 1 kid and like 200 for the was flipping redicules he was bring home like 50 every week after he paid cs, insurences,a nd the manditory retiremnt fund. like i said he gave it up and went to work for a lower paycheck that didnt do commison...its funny b/c now between the 2 kids all he pays 98 a week...he makes more money now that his pay is lower and not based on commision.

    Answer by rainmommy at 4:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • Like I said I can feel where you coming from and ask the mom that since she is living some where she does not have to pay for if she would be willing to let the state collect below the guideline amount. She has to agree to this or the judge has to soo that there is a valid reason. Bring to court with you your lease, copys of you last 3 months bill and a copy of lats years w2 and last 3 months of DH pat stubs. The judge will put all that your dh pays as well that all what ex pays and put it into a formula that will spit out a number, If when he tells you what that # is and its still to high request to go below the guideline and be ready to tell the judge EXACTLY why. This will be a lot easier if the ex is on broad.


    Answer by lostshel at 4:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • But just let me say once agian You are taking away from a child to put money in your pocket.

    rainmommy 98 per kid? would that be enough for you to raise a kid on?

    Answer by lostshel at 4:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • you can request a review and try to get it dropped a little if you cant afford it, sometimes that will work, i think that seems high, my dh pays 100.per week for two kids.when he had custody of them she only paid 200. a month! if dh has a lawyer or someone he can talk to about how to get it dropped, try that and see what your options are. good luck!!!

    Answer by lilysmommy23 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • lostshel-unfortunately the mom would never go below anything she really is just in it all for the money, her words were something like you're going to be broke and i dont care, so that just gives you an idea of the type of person we are dealing with, but I will tell my DH to ask to go below because at this point it worth a shot, as far as the kids going without, I understand but at the same time my son goes without also which if anything should be equal it should be the kids KWIM, not to mention the fact that dhs mom does more for them than our son mainly because I think she feels sorry for them but that alone is a whole other post

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.