What chores do your teens do?

We live in a condo so there is no yard work. My son empties dishwasher when needed, trash when needed including curb duty. Vacuums family room once a week, and mops the kitchen once a week. Do you think this is enough???

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 3:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Dishes, keeps room clean and folds towels.
    Anonymous

• When my boys were teens we had three bathrooms. Ours Theirs and a powder downstairs. It was their job to clean their bathroom to my standards. I quit cleaning the boys toilet whjen my oldest was 12. I refuse to clean pee up for a kid who is plenty old enough to control the stream. Of course at that time I liived in the testosterone forest. All boys/men but me. They had to vacuum their room, dishes rotated with everyone in the rotation so it was only once every 4 nights. and the other things you mentioned like trash out, cans in and out.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Oh and they had to do their own laundry. No, it isn't because I was lazy it was because boys need to learn it too. It paid off. Muy youngest went to college and had the other guys paying him 3 bucks a load to run their laundry because they had no clue how.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think the chores, you have for your son are fine I too beleive in chores for the kids of all ages as long as they live with the parents and as young as they can lift the bag out of the waste basket lol I have a granddaughter who is only two and shes with me most of the time and as I am doing my house cleaning she is right behind me trying to help and I have two teens 13 & 15 both who have to make their own beds course i do all the vacuming only cus i dont want them to mess up my vac lol and they also do thier own bathrooms my teenage girl does the dishes every other day and my teenage son take out the kitchen garbage everyday and every week he takes out the garbage bins helps with the lawn and other small thing around the house having them do choes is very helpfull for there future it not only teaches them responsibility but cleanleness and how to do for themselves. So chores are a good thing to teach our children!
    katt062

Answer by katt062 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• You're not giving him "chores." You're teaching him "life skills." Since my son was 6 (he's now 10), he's been doing his own laundry on occasion, because he needs to learn how to do laundry. He washes the dishes or loads/unloads the dishwasher and vacuums on occasion, because he needs to learn how. Collects and takes out the garbage. He cleans his bathroom, toilet, shower with Clorox wipes, because he needs to learn how to clean. He makes a great pumpkin cheesecake too.... just because :)
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 5:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my kids arent teens yet, but when i was a teen, i took out the trash, did my laundry, fed the animals, walk the dog, do the dishes, sweep, mop, vaccuum. clean my room, the bathroom, yard work, and other various stuff (crushing cans, cleaning doggy poo, etc.) i think that your son does plenty.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• anything and everything needed to be done around the house like washing dishes, taking out trash, cleaning his/her bedroom, and bathroom my is 16 yrs old and he clean house period
    lovejoy

Answer by lovejoy at 3:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2009