Teen started lying (ADHD). Lost privileges and grounded. However, still lies about small things. HELP.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My ADHD child started lying at 4 or 5 I think It is maddening. I was always consistent. Every action has a reaction..good or bad depending on the circumstances. He eventually learned at least not to lie about the big stuff, most of the time. Our chips/reward system worked well but we started that when he was 7. A lot harder to do with a 13-17 y.o.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Ugh.. My ADHD son doesn't quite "lie," he twists words and manipulates situations or just doesn't respond. I agree, it's maddening. I told him that like criminals... if he confesses to the crime, he'll have a reduced sentence, but if he lies and I find out he lied, the penalties are far worse (which is why he just doesn't respond... he won't own up to it, but won't lie about it either). This is a tough one. good luck.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 5:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Kids with ADHD are no different then "normal" teens. Find a way to get the point across that lying is not accepted and he/she will learn that until the lies stop they are in the dog house.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The lying has nothing to do with the ADHD. My son has ADHD and has not lied to me yet. The few times I have caught him it was normal things tweens and teens lie about (homework is done or he didn't have any). It may just be that he is forgetting things, which is normal for ADHD, actually it is a HUGE part of ADHD. When your son lies, have him write dictionary pages, just open the dictionary to any page and that is the one he writes out, word for word. Let your son know that if he keeps lying, when he really needs someone to believe him, they won't.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2009