How many and how often?

My daughter is 6 weeks and is eating around 4 ounces every 3 hours. She has been acting lately like she needs more. Is she still to young to be eating 5 ounces at a time? I feel like thats a lot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try & see, if she don't want it she wont drink it
    Anonymous

• Here is how I decided how much to feed my kids. Once they are finishing 2 ounces at each feed, I started making 3 ounces, once they were consistently finishing that, I gave them 4 ounces and so on until they were at 8 ounces. If you think she needs more, feed her more. If she is hungry she will eat, if she's not hungry she won't eat. Babies in general, will not overeat. If she wants to eat 5 ounces at a feeding....let her! I also noticed patterns with my kids...they were all a little different. But each had phases through out where most bottles would be say 4 ounces, but I knew the one in the late afternoon (example) I would need to make 6 ounces...things like that.
    mamatware

Answer by mamatware at 3:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• try bumping her up to 1/2 an ounce at a time till she seems full. She will ethier stop when shes full or puke. One way or another you will know

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 3:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It's not to early, growing baby she is going to eat..and grow alot in the next few months..you will be shocked. But if you are worried about moving up a whole oz. then just go a half and if after a few days she is still actting like she wants more..make it the full oz. Kids grow and change and different times..you have to fnd what workd for yours.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Too young? She knows if she's hungry or not, a lot better than you. Feed on demand, who cares how often or how many ounces? She didn't read any of the books that say she should only be taking a certain amount.

And at 6 weeks, my boys were taking 8oz every 2-3 hours, so what she seems to want is a small amount to me.

It's all relative.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• try it, if she dont want it she wont drink it.
    my son was on 4 ounces when he was born and by a month he was on 6 ounces.
    its fine.
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2009