Do you believe that someone who was raised to be a die-hard Christian, who becomes an atheist later in life, never really accepted God to begin with?

I've found a few people who think this. I was raised pentecostal. You know, in a speaking in tongues, hellfire and brimstone, happy go lucky running around in the church screaming hymns-type church. Even though I was raised to be a good little Christian, I decided to carve out my own path and become an agnostic atheist.

Some people seem to think that I never believed in God to begin with. Truth is, I believed just as hard as the next person until just recently. But after 19 years of nobody speaking back, and never having a prayer answered, I came to my own conclusions and followed my heart.

So how could anyone tell a non-believer that was raised Christian that they never believed to begin with? I don't understand it.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 3:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well,it's really not anyone's place to say that to another person. Only the person themselves knows whether or not that's true. If you are happy with the spiritual path you've made for yourself, then that should be enough. As a Christian, I cannot understand how someone could go from Christianity to Agnostic, or Atheist,but I'm sure it happens more than I know about. But, you have to do what makes you happy,and feel fulfilled. And,it sounds as if you have.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Raised Mormon and Christian...I have never ever in my life believed in God. My mother told me its because God knew i could make it on my own so he left me alone lol. My husband says I'm a Satanist..IM FAAAAR from that lol. I just dont choose religion,I dont see ANY good from it... You found your own path and that's all that matters..

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 3:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i wouldn't tell you that. I'm a Christian now however I did walk away.. I didn't become an atheist I just started practicing another religion. I truly believed etc. etc. etc. however I walked away. God was answering my prayers, I just wasn't listening and/or I didn't like the answers. I allowed the enemy to deceive me and I slowly got further and further from my relationship with God until it was not existent and the things of this world became more important to me etc. etc. etc. So, I do believe you once believed. I don't know your story or what caused you to no longer believe in God accept for what you said in your post. And I pray you will one day open your heart to believe again.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I truely believe that people can be Christian and something happens that causes them to lose the faith. I would never doubt that you were a Christian. My only concern is this, sometimes we don't always get the answer we want when we pray and often times we mistake that for our prayers not being answered. I've struggled with this in the past, only to realize that I was getting the answers but thought I knew better.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Raised Catholic...now a Happy Pagan!

It just didn't work for me...I found something that suited me better!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I dont agree that they never believed. I think when people say that they are either being rude and hurtful or they are fearful of something.

Although Im not athiest, Im Pagan I was a devout christian, I mean VERY devout. I know many say ohhh you never fully believed or had enough faith,etc but I know better and they will NEVER get that.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• No not ness.Some may not of ever truely believed but some I am sure did.I became Christian years ago at about the age of 19.I did backslide a few times.The last time I claimed I was "agnostic" for about 5 or 6 years.I have now returned to Christ and I always believed.I thought I had lost my faith but it was always there no matter how much I denied.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Hebrews 13:5
    "...Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I don't believe that at all. a person's experiences are not void because someone else said so.  if a person says that they accepted Christ, then you believe them, no one knows another's heart.  but what i do know from personal experience (meaning me) is once I asked him in, he didn't leave, even when i couldn't possibly believe he was there, he stayed to bring me back (and when he did~my new experience surpasses all my childhood ones that may have caused some confusion:)

Anonymous

• I know what you mean OP...

the thing is.. most don't understand that people like myself.. it wasn't that we were disappointed that we didnt' get an answer.. or that it wasn't what we wanted.

for myself.. my answer was clear... when I can find something that gives me an answer, that comes NOT from the assistance of a God.. but from myself.. and knowing in my heart that that is the truth (for myself).. then I can easily walk away from a faith, that I once had.. to another that has a better understanding.

I know some will say, "well it really is God giving you your answers.. but the devil is giving you all the credit" and for some.. that answer is fine.. for me.. it's not.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2009