What's your opinion on day care based on these circumstances?....

There is a small daycare center within walking distance of my house where I live. I'm currently considering putting my son in daycare about 4 hours a day, 2 days a week. This is why...
1. I'm a stay at home mom and my husband works away for days at a time, sometimes weeks.
2. My son has no children withing his age that he can socialize with regularly.
3. I have no vehicle of my own, so just taking a trip with my son for the sake of different scenery, or going to a mommy and child group thing, isn't always an option.
4.In complete honesty I feel like I need a few hours away from time to time, to catch up on cleaning, freelance art projects and just rejuvinate.
My husband is entirely against daycare in everyway, he says it's not a neccessity since I stay at home and I can watch him. Am i horrible for wanting to do this, when it's not a neccessity?

dayas625

Asked by dayas625 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are actually being very smart about this. Addressing not only your son's needs, but your personal needs as well. It sound like you've found a solution to balance your life better and I hope your husband comes to learn that children need variety and social experiences that mom and dad alone can't always provide. But more than anything, he needs to understand your need for BALANCE in your life between the time spent devoted to family and the time necessary for yourself in order to maintain your own mental well-being.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think its a really good Idea.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 3:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• No, you're not horrible. Eight hours a week of socializing should be good for your son. And there are some things you can't get done with a toddler in tow.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i put my daughter in daycare twice a week even if i wasn't working those days, b/c there were no kids she saw on a regular basis she was an only child and i wanted her to be able to interact with other kids on a regular basis and learn how to do so. he may be more concerned about cost factors than he is with the idea of you taking him to a daycare a few days a week. b/c even for just that small amount of time, the daycare i took my daughter to was $90 a week for 2 days, which adds up real fast. but he needs to understand your son needs to be around other children in order to learn how to interact with them and you need some time to do what you want to w/o a kid running after you screaming for attention. this will also teach your son that he can't get what he wants right away (don't know if he has that mentality my dd did b/c she was at the time an only child and used to mom and dads attention whenever she wanted it)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Daycare doesn't have to be the only solution. How about a babysitter with children your childs age? You could hire her a few hours a week to come by and watch your child while you get things done. That would be the best of both worlds!
    Or maybe you could host a playdate at your house so you don't have to drive.
    Anonymous

• Men dont' realize or understand how much of a JOB it can be and is to be home with a child all day. I am not a sahm mom but I GET IT - you need your time too! Just like the rest of us - its not like you and your child are at home eating bon-bion's doing nothing together - no way. I think its a great idea. my mom used to watch my son everyday while I was at work but I put him in a center daycare for the same social reasons. my husbands a stubborn man and what I do is look on the internet about the benifits of socialization for your babies age group and how well he will be from it - although mommy, its HARD - I didn't check your babies age but I didn't put my son in there til he was 16 months and he cried every drop off for 2 months - I am not sure how attached your LO is but it was very hard also - be prepared for that!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i dont think it's horrible, if you can afford it, i would check the prices out and then talk to your hubby, or do you have any siblings with kids? if so, that could be a better/cheaper route to go. i think i'd be making my dh get me a car, leaving for days or weeks at a time and you have no way to get around? does he expect you to just sit home 24/7? j/w
    good luck momma
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Go out and get a real job then he will let you put the kids in daycare since you will be working to pay for it.
    Anonymous

• I think it's a great idea. I work part time and my son goes to daycare 2 days a week. I love our daycare, especially since I don't know a lot of kids his age for playdates. I honestly would consider doing this if I was in your shoes too. Running errands without your children goes by so much faster, not to mention cleaning the house :)

I am the youngest of 3, all born within 3 years. Needless to say, she needed a break! When I was about 2, she put us all in daycare a few days a week, for a few hours per day. Pretty much the same thing your doing. She needed her sanity!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think if you can afford it then go for it. But I would wonder why you dont have a car if your hubby is away so much. What if there is an emergency and yo have to take DS to the hiopital or the Dr? If I were you I would look into getting a car before daycare.
    Anonymous