Can you use a Bumbo seat as a bath seat?

I'm not really planning on doing this or anything. One of my family members brought it up when I told them I was getting one (it was a gift yay!). Do you know anyone that's used it as one? You'd think the kid would float away...

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 4:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Had to check the site myself, was curious and this is what it says:

SAFETY FIRST

Never leave your baby unattended. Never use on a raised or  uneven surface, as a car seat, in a bath or in other water.  The Bumbo should only be used on the floor or ground. Do not use until your baby is fully able to support its head.

Warning: Some larger or more developed babies could possibly get out of the Bumbo Seat.

Anonymous

• well of course the bumbo company is going to say NOT to use it as a bath seat. it hasn't been tested for it. with that being said, i have seen plenty of pics on here on cm, of kids in the bath in their bumbo.

common sense is a GIANT factor in this, stay with your baby at all times, and things should be fine.

we never tried it, but we didn't get as much use of our bumbo as i thought we would. but our little guy was sitting at 4 months, and was sitting in the bath at 5. we never used a bath seat. i have some friends that use their bumbo as a booster seat at the dinner table for their toddler.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• They say not to because the bottom doesn't stick to the tub and it can slide around once it gets wet. I've never tried it but I would imagine as long as the baby is closely supervised during bathtime like a baby should be it probably wouldn't cause much harm.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My son is disabled, and did not get a diagnosis until he was 3 years old, so we couldn't get a bath seat for him until he was diagnosed and by the time he was diagnosed he didn't need one anymore! But anyway, for that reason, even though it says not to use it as a bath seat, it was the only idea I could come up with. We never left him unattended in the tub in, and it does float, but not with the kid in it. I think the main reason it shouldn't be used as a bath seat is if the outer covering gets cracked or opened somehow water would get into the foam part, and that would destroy the seat and cause the seat itself to mold from the inside out. We never had any problems doing this. The seat we have is 4 years old now, and still in excellent condition (unless you count where it got attacked with a Sharpie marker). If their are other options-like actual bath seats, or baby bath tubs, I would use one of those. But I did use it
    mamatware

Answer by mamatware at 4:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i thought of this too, talking with a friend. but she made a good point. my dd is a chunky monkey so cleaning her would be a little hard lmao. getting her out of the seat was hard enough, if i'd lift her, the seat came with her lol
    Anonymous

• I tried this with my daughter several months ago and it wouldn't stay down on the tub...it kept floating even though my daughter is really chubby!!!
    Anonymous

• Other than safety issues, I really don't think it would work very well. Just too awkward in my opinion. It's great for other things and we even took it to a restaurant before my LO could sit in a high chair.

This is the one we got and I loved it!
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7977227

Before we used that , we used something like this:
    http://lexington.craigslist.org/bab/1227676983.html

Honestly once my son was a couple months old I found it easiest just to hop in with him and hold him myself and wash him.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2009