Another question talked about guardianship of your children if you die

I will leave my children with my sister if the unthinkable happens. She is the same religion as me, however; it got me to wondering how much religion plays in your will. Those that have requested someone raise your children do you stipulate the person must allow your children to stay part of the church? If you do not practice any religion did you stipulate they are not to go to Church? Did you make sure the person practices a religion similar to yours?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Part of me choosing someone was seeing that they raise there children with values that I would want my dd raised with. I chose family members with similar beliefs and values. I didn't stipulate anything except who controls the money from life insurance. By placing my dd with them I am giving them the freedom to raise her up the same way they are raising there own.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• DH and I decided that my father and his wife would raise our boys. My paternal grandfather was a luthern minister until late last yr when at age 84 he was diagnosed with Altimerz (sp?). I grew up going to church where grandpa was the minister. DH grew up Catholic, they are very similar in beliefs. Even if we hadn't choosen my father I don't think that religion should be the deciding factor. If my father can't take care of our boys, they will go to my brother-in-law and his wife who are Catholic. I think the most important thing is that my sons are loved and cared for, even if that means sending them to another country (where most of my husband's family live).
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 4:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My SIL and BIL would be my son's guardians in case something happens to us. According to the way my church does baptism, the entire congregation agrees to be the "Godparents" of our son. In our absence, they will make sure to provide ways for him to get to church and provide him with whatever spiritual support he needs as well as spiritual support to my SIL and BIL.  My SIL and BIL really aren't religious but they know our wishes which is why we chose them.  We don't really feel the need to put our religious wishes in our will.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My kids are to be raised by my parents if something happened to dh and I, if they were too old or otherwise unable they would go to my cousin and his wife (we are close and take joint family vacations, etc.) I don't think that religion pays a major part, but I do think that values/priorities are a big factor. Dh has a brother and there is NO WAY I would let him and his wife raise my kids because I disagree with their values and priorities (BIL is a chauvinist who does what he wants and expects his wife to deal with it, and they have both told us that they think we should raise the kids exclusively in Indian culture whereas dh and I think that having a mix of cultures is best since they are biracial kids.) My cousin and his wife don't happen to be the same religion as me, but they parent in similar ways and have similar values and I trust them to do a job I would approve of if I was not there to raise my kids.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My DD will go with my mother and father if anything happens to me until her dad could get a suitable place and job (he was just laid off, and I don't want her living with his mom).. long story behind my reasoning. I trust DD's father, it's not that.. it's his mother, whom he is living with right now I don't like or trust. Religion doesn't play a role in my decision, my mom is a Christian, my dad's agnostic. His mother is Christian..
    the difference is.. my parents have better morals, etc. than his mother.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• If for some reason.. her father, or my parents could not take her.. she still has a few other options.. ex. my best friend, my aunt, one of my cousins, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2009