Why are people so obsessed with weight & being the perfect size??

It really bothers me that as a society we tend to judge anyone who isn't skinny.

I'm five one & 160. I'm considered "overweight" I feel good about myself but I'm sure some would see this as gross. I just do NOT understand why everyone can't be comfortable with their size?!

lizafur13

Asked by lizafur13 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't want to be skinny. I just want to be healthy and confortable with my body. I actually like curves on my body.
    Anonymous

• Because of the media. If we didn't have celebrities and tv to tell us what the ideal woman should look like, we would all be just fine. Unfortunately, and I say this with great regret, too many people idealize the celebrity life. Also, when we have such access to media, TV, even porn... men think that is what a real woman is supposed to be like. That is why people from other countries are so much more intelligent than we, as a society. They know that a real woman is what is what's inside.. not out.
    Anonymous

• Cuz it make peeple muuuuuuunnnniiiiiiiiiiiii :o]

No, seriously. It's been this way since people have ever been around. It got worse in the 60's, when Twiggy came out as a supermodel. She was unnaturally thin, and she took the fashion world by storm. Society called her the new "it" girl. So then, because she looked cool, girls wanted to be skinny like her and look just like her. Other models became skinny like her. And so on and so forth, and here we are today.

I don't think it'll ever change, honestly. It's sad that there's prejudice against bigger people though. I'm a plus size chick, and I've had people tell me to "go throw up already!" and stuff. Not nice.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• People are obsessed because society tells you that you have to look like a star basically and skinny.Just as long as your happy and healthy that's all that matters.
    Dylansmom32509

Answer by Dylansmom32509 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I am 5'1" and i weigh....215 pounds! OMG!! and my husband LOVES IT!! and so do I. I wear a 14, and am beautiful and perfect. there is nothing about my body that i dont like. my hubby tells me that skinny women are disgusing, and that women are supposed to have curves like i do.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I am 5'6" and 135lbs and I am watch everything I eat. I do that because if makes me feel good and I have more energy to play w my son and Iike to be active. I feel good about myself when I am slim and I dont have to worry about putting on clothes and then taking them off because I look fat in it. I eat healthy and try to excercise and dont eat junk. Me myself, i dont find obese people very attractive so I make sure I take care of myself. I like to be healthy and look healthy and teach my son good eating habits
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I dont know. Ever hear of chubby chasers!!? Some guys are into fat women so more power to ya!
    Anonymous

• What IS the "perfect size"?

Answer by admckenzie at 5:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i think if a woman of any height has the bmi of 21% for her height...that that is the perfect size. my bmi is 22%
    Anonymous

• Worriedmommy, I'm with you. I started working out this year because not of what I see in magazines (which I rarely read) and I do not look at a lot of television. It DOES make me feel good after a good workout. I DO have more energy and feel better about myself that I am working out and eating better than I was.
    I believe the tables have turned.Now, if you work out and eat right, you are "obssessed with what society wants you to be" or you want to be like a celebrity,

please.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2009