Does anyone know the name and location of the oldest church in the United States?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• San Miguel mission in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Miguel Mission Santa Fe, New Mexico 1610 Allegedly the oldest church structure built in the USA. The original adobe walls and altar were built by the Tlaxcalan Indians[2]

St. Luke's Church (Smithfield, Virginia) Smithfield, Virginia 1632 or 1682 Allegedly the oldest church in the United States in one of the thirteen original colonies, National
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Yep san miguel mission in santa fe
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Old Ship Church Hingham, Massachusetts 1681 Oldest church in continuous ecclesiastical use in the United States; only remaining 17th century Puritan meeting house in America.

I have actually been to this place, i lived in Hingam MA for about a year. This church is the only one still being used.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I live in mass and I think it is hingham ma..yes the church in sante fe is the oldest church structure built, I dont think its actually still used as a church. as the church in Hingham is still used for a church. why ask a question like this anyways??
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I asked the question cause I was talking to my kid about the churches in Rome and the paintings and it led to old structures in the U.S. I figured I would get some church names and we could serach and talk about them. I know that might knock the socks off you but my kids do enjoy learning about history and churches.
    Anonymous

• I know the oldest synagogue is in Newport RI
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• fireball--what is the name of it? and cool thanks for telling me.
    Anonymous