For those who are pregnant or already mothers.

What do you think is the perfect age to become a mother? Forget about how old you were when you had kids, what age do you think would have been perfect? I know circumstances play a huge role in terms of finances, marriage status, etc., but so does age, in a way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Honestly, I had my son when I was 24 years old, my husband and I had been married for just shy of our 4th wedding anniversary...So things were good with us and our marriage (I see a lot of couples that aren't stable with their marriage and then they throw a baby in the mix and that adds a lot of problems...) but I wish I would have been able to finish my college education BEFORE I got pregnant. However, I don't regret having my son whatsoever! I love him more than anything on this earth and he has been the best thing that has ever happened to us!! :)

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 5:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• For me, I was married at 22 but i didnt have my first child until 26. we wanted to enjoy married life and get established. looking back now, my daughter is almost 7 and i wish we didnt wait that long. she has brought so much joy into our lives and made our relationship that much stronger.
    longonevs

Answer by longonevs at 5:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Hard to say. I feel like I was at the perfect age...26. I was young enough to not be fully entrenched in a career (making it much easier to quit my job and stay at home), young enough to still have the energy to chase around my now 14 mo. old daughter (which believe me - takes some serious energy) but old enough to not feel completely overwhelmed by the whole thing. I think more than age though, maturity and your circumstances in life decide when the best time is to become a mom.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I like being a younger mom, I had my first at 20. I know lots of women that have kids in their 40's, but I don't think they have the energy to keep up as much as they might have 10-20 yrs before. I want to be done having kids by the time I'm 30, so I can enjoy playing with my kids while I'm young and still around to see my grandkids and even great grandkids. I am happy that DH was older when we had our first, I wouldn't have liked him being my same age. I have friends whos DHs are younger and want to go out drinking and going to parties. My hubby was on his own for 11 yrs before we had our first. I do understand that for somee waiting is a better idea.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 5:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I dont think that there ever is a right age to get pregnant. Each person is different, and it really depends i think on what your goals in life are. Some people want to establish a career first, others dont. Me and my hubby got married when I was 19, he was 22. I wanted children right away and so did he. And granted no, i dont have a college degree, but that is something i plan on working on when my children go back to school. But thats us, and that worked great for us and we are as happy as can be expecting our 3rd in December. Now i have a friend that is in her early 30s. She wishes sometimes that maybe she would have chosen the route that i did, because she went to school for 8 years, got her master and now decided to stay home with him little girl. She doesn't know if she wants to go back to work, she enjoys being a sahm and her husband can support them. So she spent all the money on college and go no use out of it.
    atjm0919

Answer by atjm0919 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I had my first at 16, my second at 25 and my third at 27, I can say I was more ready at 16 then any other age. I was full of energy, more patient, more focused on my child at 16 then I was at 25. I know it sounds weird, and at 16 I was a pro...my mom was not the motherly type and I raised my brother from age 11 til I moved out, of course I used my mom as the what not to do,so I knew how babies were and what it took to take care of them. Also I was married to a great man then and now, so I had support. As far as being more stable, 33 is a good age but I dont think I would have the patients or energy now LOL...
    Anonymous

• Biologically, 22 is the best age for a woman to have a baby. I think that 22 would have been great for me, I would have been married and finished college. I had my first at age 20, and I don't regret it at all but I do wish that I would've finished college first. For many women they may not be mature enough or 'set in life' enough to have a baby at age 22 though.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Just now pregnant with our first at 27 years old. Wishing I would have started earlier, but my dang husband had to wait so long to propose. I think 24 or 25 is a good age. That way if you want to have more you will have time and you will be younger when they have kids, so you will be able to hang with your grandkids.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I had #1 at 24, #2 at 26 and #3 at 28.

we'd been married for 3 years, had established our careers (I'm a chef) and it was time for the next step - it took a year TTC and in that year we did a LOT of growing up and changing of our lifestyles. we bought a house, a minivan and started being responsible.

I think mid 20s is a great age. you're old enough to be able **hopefully** act responsibly and young enough to still have .... not sure. lol I know compared to the rest of the moms with kids my age that I know personally...I'm the youngest.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• everyones different when it comes to age its really when you feel that you and your significant other are ready for the responsibiltites and loving of another human being
    i wasnt ready till i turned 27 years old and i am almost 28 with a 5 month old girl and one on the way
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2009