What does your church say about donating organs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nothing.

My church doesn't hae a whole lot of "rules" or opinions on things. Our focus if faith in Jesus and trying to please him how we feel lead to please him by inspiration and enlightenment of the scripture. We don't pick apart verses to death and take things out of context to the point where we're afraid to live normal lives lol. If we want to donate organs, my church has no problem with it. It's a non-issue. You can't take 'em with you, why not let someone else use them?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• nothing
    Anonymous

• none - it's a non-issue. if we do we do and if we dont we dont.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I attended a training by the state's (NC) organ procurement center. According to the speaker there are no religions that are against donating organs. I want to add that I am not so sure I 100% believe that or if that was a marketing strategy to get more donors. It may be true but the speaker tended to rub me the wrong way. Thank God not literally. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Nothing.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The Catholic Church is not against orgain donations - the decision is up to the individual. No one is required to donate their organs, but Pope John Paul II did say in Evangelium Vitae (The Gospel of Life):

Over and above such outstanding moments, there is an everyday heroism, made up of gestures of sharing, big or small, which build up an authentic culture of life. A particularly praiseworthy example of such gestures is the donation of organs, performed in an ethically acceptable manner, with a view to offering a chance of health and even of life itself to the sick who sometimes have no other hope

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It's kind of ironic really! ppl say not to get cremated bc you need ur body to go into a new life when ppl that are dead will rise up and follow Christ! But, yet you can get cut up and donate ur organs. I don't get it!
    Earth-Angel

Answer by Earth-Angel at 9:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Earth-Angel - I don't know of any faith that says you can donate organs but you can't be cremated because you need your body in the new life. I know there was a period of time when creamation wasn't allowed in the Catholic Church but that was because in the past people cremated their dead because they did not believe in an afterlife, which is contradictory to Christian belief. Some did it to specifically demonstrate their denial of the idea of the resurrection of the Body. So it wasn't so much that cremation was wrong because you'll need your body - it was the reason/purpose/idea behind why most people use to do it. Since that is no longer the main focus/idea behind cremation it's been allowed in the Catholic Church since 1963.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2009