Christians: did you or will you name your children using biblical names?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My son's name is Matthew for several reasons. It has always been my favorite name for a boy, it's my husband's name AND yes, because it is a Biblical name that I admire.

I'd like to name all of my children with at least their first or middle names a biblical name. However, it is more important for me to name them names I like as well as honor important people we admire. My son's middle name is "Raymond" after my grandfather. I'd like to name our next son after his two grandfathers and if I have a daughter, she'll probably be named "Joanna" after me (I LOVE that name, and my middle name is "JoAnn"). That being said, the next kids might not end up having Biblical names althought I think it would be neat if all of them could.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I have two with Biblical names and one without - Leah, Daniel, and Keely.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I am a christian && did not give my son a biblical name. I don't have a problem with biblical names, it just happened that the name that I loved isn't biblical.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I am a Christian & out of my 5 kids, 3 have Bible related names. My SS is Teth, which is a letter of the Hebrew alphabet & used in Psalms. My SD's middle name is Grace. My youngest DD is Lydia which is in the new testament. To me, it was more important that they all have meaning in their names. Every one of them has one name that was picked just for them & one name that is after a family member. I have a Bible name myself (Sarah Elizabeth) but it just wasn't on the top of my baby name priority list to pick Bible names for my kids. They are pretty, but I don't believe they are sacred or anything. Actually, the fact that Lydia is in the Bible was secondary to naming her after her great-great-grandmother who was 92 when my DD was born & thrilled to have a namesake.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I have considered many biblical names, but realize that there are many other names that were not recorded, and of course many modern versions of older names. Whatever the name, I would like to know the meaning and have it be something positive that has character. For instance, if a name meant "lazy bum", etc. I would shy away from that one. Also, I wouldn't name any child of mine after someone who was typically shown negatively or evil (So, no Jezebel's, Judas Iscariot's, Satan's, Lucifer's, etc. for me.) Other than that, I would like it to suit my child well, could possibly be within our family, but I am not opposed to using one that is just popular at this time. I also like to consider the initials, so no "Zachariah Isaac Tyson or Abraham Samuel Smith" for me, either. Kids can be mean, need I say more?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Neither of my girls were given Biblical names. One's middle name is Danielle, the feminine variant of Daniel, after my father and grandfather. It's only coincidence that it's Biblical. If I had had a son, he probably would have been named Daniel James, which is quite Biblical.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• no, my son was not given a biblical name.. his first name is after his grandpa and his middle name is two names combined.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I have a Logon Micheal, Alex Hayes, and a Lily Marie. Logon's middle name is biblical, but it wasn't really meant to be. It turns out though, that he is named after my guide, so I guess I was paying him homage without even know it at the time.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I'm not Christian, but did pick a name with religious significance for one of my children. Dh is south asian and wanted the kids to have south asian names- for my first two children their middle name was after my grandparents. With my third I had run out of beloved deceased relatives so decided to give her a name that meant something spiritually to me. I ended up choosing the middle name Kamalika, which means 'lotus flower' because the lotus is a symbol or spiritual growth and enlightenment in the Buddhist faith. To be 'sitting on a lotus' is to be enlightened.
    I like to know the meanings of the names... my middle child's name means "beloved" and my youngest daughter's name means "peace." My son's name means "moon"- no particular signifcance, dh and I had a hard time agreeing on a boy name so practicality had to come before symbolism!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Yup - both his first names and his middle name are Saints - two apostles and one archangel.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2009