Does anyone know if there is a church approved Marion apparition in the United States?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Am I the only one who doesn't understand the question?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• If I'm not mistaken, they are all in other countries.

Ashley, Marion apparitions are Virgin Mary appearances. =)
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Ok, I had no idea. Can you tell I am not a Catholic? lol
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• There are no church approved Marion apparations in the US. There is Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico.

The closest would probably be Our Lady of America in Rome City, IN, which has been approved locally (by the local bishops) but not formally by the Vatican (to my understanding).

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Marion apparations are when the Virgin Mary appears supernatually to people here on earth. As you can imagin there are many such claims - some are investigated by the Catholic Church (generally not the ones with her appearing in pancakes or trees or such). When investigating the Church can declare a claim as a fraud or as "approved".

Marion apparations are "private revelations". When the Church approves an apparation it basically means that it's a pius apparation, worthy of belief, and faith-building, and not contrary to any Catholic doctrine. But that does not mean that all Catholics have to believe the event actually occurred. That's up to the individual. It's NOT an infallible dogma of the church.

The article "Revelations: Public and Private" explains things a bit more.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2009