Is there a difference between the Amish and the Mennonites?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe mennonites use electricity unlike amish.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Yes. There are even different sects within the two groups (or at least the Amish have different sects). Mennonites came out of the Amish culture. They have rejected much of the rules and beliefs. As far as I know Mennonites are more in line with what main-stream Christianity believes than the Amish are.

I grew up with tons of Mennonite friends and have Amish neighbors...you'd think I'd know more than what I do lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Lots of them. Amish are more extreme and avoid being among the English as much as possible. Mennonites mingle, they just make sure to follow their own rules.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Mennonites still over their heads and dress consevatively but do not have specific clothing that they're ONLY permitted to wear. They are just extremely conservative. They live in regular homes with regular appliances and conviniences like everyone else. They own cars ect. ect.

With the Amish, the rules about cars, electricity, phones and appliances vary from community to community.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Ditto NovemberLove with the exception of "Mennonites still cover their heads". I guess some may still cover their heads, but not all. I was raised Mennonite, never wore a bonnet.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Novemberlove summed it up pretty well.I have lived around the Amish (up north) and now live near a big community of Mennonites here in the south.The Mennonites here are more modern but they do still dress (most of the time) in the old fashion.They also have their own school for the children within their community.My experiance with the Amish and Mennonites they are alike in ways and all good people.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• yes.. mennonites are more accepting of certain modern things.. ex. some have electricity, and other modern appliances..

while amish don't.

they are alike because although one is more accepting of technology.. they both hold strong to their strict religious beliefs.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2009