CoSleeping vs crib

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on letting your baby fall asleep on your bed and when going to bed yourself putting it in the crib or cosleeping completely. What do you think are the positive, what the negative aspects to it vs the other extreme putting baby to bed and leaving the room right away. I know all babies are different, but what are your experiences. What did you do, why did you do it that way and when cosleeping, was the transition hard to get baby to sleep in his crib eventually?

januarymom81

Asked by januarymom81 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started with the bassinet and she cried everytime, even if I let her fall asleep first then move her into it. So I had her co-sleep for a while and it went well. After a while I started to put her in the bassinet for naps to stat getting used to it. After about a week of that (she was probably about 3 months) she could sleep pretty much through the night in the bassinet. Then I started to put her in her crib instead. I have always gotten her to sleep before laying her down. She has always cried if I tried to put her to bed awake unless it was with me. I do not do CIO nor have I ever. But remember that CIO is only for babies over a year old.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I co-slept with my dd for the first six months. My husband was deployed and I just found it to be easier for me since I was bf. I know there were a couple of mornings when I would have breast fed in the middle of the night without knowing. I felt like I got the most sleep that way, since I was working. Also when I would wake to get ready for work, my little one would just naturally wake up. I liked that I didn't have to go in and get her up out of bed. I ended up transitioning her to her crib two weeks before my husband came home. She had no problem, and actually slept better in my opinion.

I don't think I would have co-slept if my husband had been home for two reasons. 1.) I would have been worried he would have smothered her, and there just wasn't enough room in our queen size bed for two adults and a baby, IMO. 2.) I think intimacy is so important to maintain after having a LO. Hard to do if you co-sleep.

2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my son was in the bassinet until 4wks, then we moved and stayed in a hotel alot so he had his own bed, but was in his own crib at 3 months, but the crib was in our room for the first couple weeks, and i still rocked him to sleep. by the time he was 5 months he didn't want to be rocked anymore, so i had him CIO in his crib in his own room. CIO worked great.

my dd, she was in the bassinet until about 4 months, then straight to her own room in the crib. she was much smaller than my ds, which is why i kept her in there longer, but i had her FUSS herself to sleep every night starting at 4wks in the bassinet. if she cried longer than 2 minutes, she wasn't ready for bed so i'd get her and try half hour later. as she got older i'd push the minutes up.

CIO obviously works, and bed time for both is 8. wake up, or allowed out of their room is at 8am. both have been sleeping thru the night since 6 months, but that's another subject
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• nope, CIO is ok for under 1. starting it at 1 is kind of crazy if you ask me. you want to start things early with kids. well except food.
    Anonymous

• We put our son in the basinett for the first 4 weeks. Then we put him in our room in his crib for 2 weeks. And at 7 weeks he was in his own room. At 8 weeks he was sleeping through the night and still is at 9 1/2 months. Around 4 months he started crying a little, but we let him CIO and the first night he cried for 9 minutes. Second night 5 minutes. Now he never cries!
    Co-sleeping for me was just too freaky. THe first 6 weeks I woke up freaking out that he was in the bed with me, and I'd ruffle through the blankets looking for him. I had NEVER even put him in the bed with me, so I knew it wasn't right for me. Some people it works great though. You just have to figure out what'll be easier for you!

Good luck!
    Anonymous