who lives on an Airforce Base???

honestly.. who lives on an air force base? i want to know how the housing is. bathroom, floor, kitchen, countertops. the spaces in btwn? quality? the reason im asking is bc i know a woman her husband was actually in the navy which is WAY diff from air force housing but there was cement floors,walls, etc.in hawaii. My husband is going in the air force in october and i cannot come to think i will live on something gross like that. how is it really ladies?

SweetiePieAfWf

Asked by SweetiePieAfWf at 5:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i don't live in air force housing but i've lived in navy housing and ours was great, we had double sinks in our bathroom, a remote control garage, a huge yard and numerous other nice things. but then i know some housing that is so small you can barely fit two people none the less kids in there. so it really depends on how old the housing is and what base you are at, b/c even with in the branch the housing differs at different bases.
    you don't have to live on base, if you chose to live off base you are given a housing allowance that is based on the area you live in and the cost of living there, your housing allowance is supposed to cover rent and basic utilities only, if you live on base you don't pay rent, electric, water, sewage, you would only pay for cable, internet and phone. however the housing allowance (BAH) is also based on rank and dependents. if you do a google search for airforce pay charts you can see how CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• much he will be making. and then do a google search for BAH you should find a site that allows you to put in a zip code and give you what the BAH there would be. i would put in your current zip so you have an idea of what you would be getting where you are and that gives you a general idea of how accurate their calculations are on housing costs.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i dont think you have anythig to fear.

My understanding is that the AF has higher standards of living then most other branches. At least, that's what my DH says and he's in the army.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I live by an air force base and have visited housing. It's all brand new here and very nice.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I grew up in air force housing. the first ones ewe lived in in fla were brand new. we were the first ones to move in and they were very nice!! then i lived in some ine england, and the were very nice as well...very large too!! no carpert in those tho, but still had everything! I think it all depends on the base you are at!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 6:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• each base/post is different. Fort Dix had some cinderblock houses and the Air Base next to it had conmemmed housing that was still in use. I have had beautiful housing in Germany and pretty nice on Fort Dix. Charleston Air Force base has wonderful houses and most bases are in renovations.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Hubby and I used to live in the Army Base. Housing facilities are different from each other; I guess it would depend on the rank, as rank has its privileges. All are decent, probably just differing in sizes, and depending on the soldier's civil status. We had air conditioning, a large bathroom, cable, kitchen, big yard, big rooms, and very near basketball and tennis courts. There's also a large multi-purpose area where military families hold parties, bingo nights, or barbecues. So don't worry about it, everything's going to be fine.
    adamantine

Answer by adamantine at 8:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2009