How do you help an 8 month old to learn they need to chew their food?

I have started my son on stage 3 foods that have the little chunks of food to help learn to chew and he always gags or gets choked has anyone else had this problem?

Asked by LTLDEB at 7:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Food & Drink

• He's probably not ready for it. Go back to stage three and he will start to chew them when he's physically ready. You can't teach him to chew, it's instict.

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 8:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I meant go back to stage TWO. D'oh.

• Have you tried having him watch you? Show him. When you put a little bit in his mouth make an up and down motion with your mouth. They pick up things by immitation so fast! Just so you don't feel so bad both my children did gag for a while when we first started on soft solids. Maybe just mash it up a tad more than what it is.
    Best of luck.

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 10:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Put a little bite of something (like a cheerio or a puff) in your mouth & show him how you chew. Do it really slowly & deliberately. Keep him on baby food & really soft foods like mashed potatoes... I bet he'll start pretending to chew his food really soon just by watching you. You can't really "teach" a baby how to chew, but he'll figure it out pretty soon!

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• He's not ready. My son couldn't chew chuncks at that age. He didn't even start solids until he was almost 7 months old.

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2008