smoking @ 27 weeks?

during my pregnancy i was smoking 2-5 cigaretts a day, until this week.. ive completely quit cold turkey, i don't crave them and can't stand the smell of them now... i know i should have quit in the very begining but stopping at 27 weeks is still better than not stopping at all right? he can be healthy still? and not neccesarily but underweight or born early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• answering anon- I never do, but i don't want to deal with the wrath of others.
    I smoked all the way up until birth. After my c-sec I had to spend 3 days in the hospital, so I couldn't smoke. I quit for 2 months after my dd was born (born healthy by the way) So yes he can still be healthy. You quit! thats more than I could do. So consider that an accomplishment. and it can only get better. so don't worry too much.
    Anonymous

• I've always heard that you should not quit cold turkey because the baby will be addicted to the nicotine and you can make him/her go into withdraws. Yes, he still has a chance of being healthy but there is still the possibility he will be born prematurely and possible lung prematurity. No one can say for sure what your chances really are, but right now as I see it they are 50/50.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I smoked all the way until the day I gave birth with my first one, and he was 9 lbs and came out SCREAMING, no problems, he is 4 today and shows no signs of anything wrong.
    I feel horrible about it now, being pregnant for the second time around (im not smoking with this pregnancy) but I think a lot of people tend to make a huge deal over it.
    its not good, but its life and i think your baby will be fine!!!
    proud that you kicked a bad habbit, good for you mama!
    PP is right though- your not supposed to quit cold turkey, it can send your baby though withdraws, make his heart rate increase and cause preterm labor, so I would throw on a patch for the next few days and wein yourself off that way.
    Anonymous