Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


i will be a godmommy in october, and i was wondering do i have to sign papers for the state to know,just in case something happens to the parents, and grandparents. they would have to know to come to me? under paper circumstances... rite?

Answer Question

Asked by SweetiePieAfWf at 5:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • lol, no. they just have to put in their Will that the child/ren go to you

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • they have to put it in their will, the godparent title really doesn't mean anything legally all it means is you are responsible for the childs religious upbringing. if you aren't in the will than there would be problems if something where to happen

    Answer by vabchmommy at 5:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • Unless you are named guardian by the parents should anything happen to them, they children will either go to family or to the state. The title of Godmother or Godfather is a title given to someone who the parents appoint to help them guide their children through their religious journey. The point being is so that if the parents should perish or fail in their child's religious upbringing, the Godparents would be the ones to step in and make sure that that child makes it through their confirmation. Legally, though, it means nothing to the state.

    Answer by beadingmom17 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • *the

    Answer by beadingmom17 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.