I can't even hold down water.

I'm ten and a half weeks pregnant, and I have morning sickness that's so bad, I can't even really hold down liquid.
What do I do?
I'm currently just eating when I feel I think I can, and there's only about a 25% chance it stays down. Even when I do eat at those times, I'm only able to eat a tiny bit.
I feel super dehydrated; my lips are chapped, I'm getting super bad head aches and I'm thirsty. I drink water and milk when I can, but I don't know what else to do?
At first, I figured I'd at least take the prenatal vitamines so my baby got those, but now I can't even keep those down.
My first prenatal appt. isn't until Monday.
Please don't tell me to eat crackers, toast, ect. I've tried everything! The only thing that's worked, is Lemon products. (Lemon Heads, lemonade)
What should I do?
Thanks!

VonWiggles

Asked by VonWiggles at 5:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Call your doctor, it sounds like you need to be hospitalized to receive fluids and then your doctor can give you some medications that should help with your sickness. But no matter what call your doctor today!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 5:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It isn't super comon, but it does happen that moma cant keep anything down as in your case, the Dr can give you meds that will help. If it is really severe and you feel that you are extremely dehydrated, I might even go to the ER and see what they can do for you instead of waiting for your Dr apt, but definitely mention it to yor Dr too. Good luck, I had to be on them with my 2nd pregnancy anc it really does help alot, just make them listen to you so they know how severe it is, not just usual morning sickness.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It's good your found something that works for you. You should be fine until Monday. Just keep hydrated with the lemonade. Tell your ob about the vomiting and ask for a prescription for nausea that is safe for the baby like phenorgen (spelling?).
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Sound like what happend to me 2 weeks ago i had to go to the ER and have iv's so i could get liq then they gave me a prescription for supositorys because i couldnt keep ne thing down...i felt amazing when i left the hospital and my sickness has not been very bad since...
    excitedmomma2be

Answer by excitedmomma2be at 6:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• You may have hyperemesis gravidarum. I had that my first pregnancy and had to go on medication (zofran). I'm pregnant again and am almost as sick so I'll probably be going on medication soon. Call you doctor, tell them you can't drink any more, and don't let them tell you that this is 'normal'. That's what happened with my first one and I ended up in the ER extremely dehydrated and sick. For more information go to hyperemesis.org. Good luck and I hope you feel better very soon!!
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 6:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I would go to the er. you need to get an iv so your not dehydrated. It hits your baby before it hits you. This happend with me and i was in the hospital for about 3 days because i needed that much fluid. But i would go in. The worst thing that they can tell you is that they will put you on an iv then send you home. But that would make you feel better. And you might be able to get meds. Monday is a long time to wait when all you can eat is lemon products. Thats not giving you anywhere near what you need. Hope you feel better.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Your dr can prescribe antinausea medications under extreme situations like yours. You should talk to your dr about prescribing you Zofran or Phenegren. Also good things to try that will ease the nausea is to drink ginger tea. I drank the Traditional Medicinals White Ginger hot tea when I was having this problem. Don't drink it steaming hot but at room temp. Don't drink your water too cold either that might be part of the problem as well. Ginger in any form is very good for easing nausea. For some people peppermint can also help. The good news is that theres a good chance it will ease up in your second trimester! Hope you feel better soon!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 6:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Ok first off all stay away from milk! If you are getting sick then dairy will only make it worse. Secondly... stop the prenatals but get folic acid & vitamin B6. Your baby needs the folic acid for its nuerological development and B6 will give you energy which will make you slightly less nauseas. The rest of the stuff in prenatal vitamins are for you cuz your baby will take what it needs from what you already have, leaving you with nothing. I am on my third pregnancy and havent been able to do the prenatals with any of them.

You should probably go to the ER becuase you will be SHOCKED at how much getting hydrated thru IV fluids will make you feel better. The plus side is that you are at the worst of this right now and it should start getting better soon. But IMO, an ER visit would probably be good for you. I had IV fluids every 7 days with my first, 5 days with my 2nd and have had them 3 times this time & I am 9 wks
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• And I, too, have been on anti-nausea meds during all the pregnancies.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• eat whatever sounds good to you no matter what it is. At this point calories are more important than nutrition. Have you tried drinking other things? Kool Aide was a big hit for me in the first trimester. There were mornings that I'd eat cookie dough or hot dogs for breakfast because it was the only thing that sounded good, and those were the mornings that I wouldn't throw up.

I wouldn't go to the ER, I'd call my doctor. ER visits are pricey, but if you go through your doctor he can set you up to get an IV that won't cost nearly as much as going to the ER.

Chances are your baby is fine. Your baby will get what it needs from you. But you need some nutrients. Call your doctor and try to think of one beverage that sounds okay (maybe lemonade?) Try drinking from a straw or freezing something in ice cubes and sucking on that, or make a slushi. Those are good ways to trick yourself into getting hydrated. Good luck!!!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2009