What are signs your dog will die from parvo virus?

I have a 3 month old puppy with parvo. He's been to the vet, being treated for it, but now I think he's going to not pull through. What are signs that your dog isn't going to make it?

sharnos

Asked by sharnos at 6:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pets

• My dad had 3 dogs get it at the same time about 2 years ago...only one of them lived. They got to the point that they wouldnt eat anything, and the vet told him to feed them whatever he could that they would eat. The one that didnt die never did get seizures like the other 2, so I would say if the puppy has seizures it isnt a good sign. The one that did live ate like a king for like a week, hamburger meat, grilled chicken, tuna, anything that a spoiled dog would love were the only things he would even attempt to eat and actually keep down. It is a hard disease to watch, very hard, and the outcome isnt good usually, but it isnt 100% fatal either. Good luck.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Most puppies don't make it unless you catch it within the first day or so! Signs - not eating, laying around, not drinking! If he dose this for more than day he most likely will not make it! Try to feed and water him and comfort him! God can do anything though!! I sorry honey and i will pray for him!

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• You say the dog has been treated by a clinic? They shouldn't have released him if he was not completely better. Signs: Not eating, blood in urine and feces, sever lethargy, vomiting, also with blood in it. If you are comfortable giving an iv, you could buy fluids from the clinic and treat at home. The most important thing is for the animal to not get dehydrated, in addition antibiotics. This has to be given constantly for up to ten days. In addition parvo can live in the ground for up to hundred years. Your yard, carpet, furniture, bedding, anything that the animal has come into contact with has been infected with that virus. In addition if you bring any other non-vaccinated animals dogs around that area, including new puppies, they can also become infected with it. Bleach is the only thing that will kill the virus. If you are having a hard time getting ahold of fluids, you can temporarily give the dog gatoraid.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 6:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I'm a vet tech student, and we had a breakout with a litter of puppies up at our college...but we caught our breakout within the first few days, we had them isolated from eachother, and on IV therapy (to keep them hydrated and give them nutrients). We also had them on heating pads to keep them comfortable...they also got dishes of food and water if they were interested..but most of them just laid around and slept all day---it's a NASTY virus and makes them feel TERRIBLE. They also vomit and have very runny diahrrea, so we had to be up there almost constantly keeping them clean and comfortable, and surprisingly enough, we only lost ONE!
    Your puppy defiantely needs to be on IV therapy if it's been awhile since he's been sick and he's not eating or drinking. Try to keep your puppy as clean and comfortable as you can...make sure it gets plenty of water and nutrition---hydration can be a killer for a puppy who's not taken care of!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• bleach every last inch of your house where puppy is/has been. Bleach is the only thing that will kill the virus and it can live for up to 5 months so puppy can keep picking it back up. I had a pup with it and i DID NOT do the hospitalization for her because i could not afford it at the time. So instead i rehabed her myself! I made her boiled chicken and rice water in the microwave (boil chicken in water for 3 min, add rice cook another 2-3) and i served it to her by hand in itty bitty pieces and only a piece or 2 of chicken per feeding. Then i went to the dollar store and bought an eye dropper. I fed her UNFLAVORED pedialyte mixed with water 1/3 c every 30 min for about a week. And every 30-45 min for the feedings. It took about a week of the feeding/drinking and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of cuddles, kisses and love and she made it and delivered a litter this past january!!! PM me if you need any other help
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 9:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• yaa i was gonna say pretty much what carliemarie said...i used to work at a vet, and everytime a pup came in with parvo they had to be isolated from everything/anything. so im verry suprised that they sent you home..you need to bleach your house from top to bottom, so the pup doesnt keep pickin up the virus. and when staff went into take care of them we had to get all suited up, not allowed touching them at all..so..yaaaaaaa
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I have had two dogs die of parvo. the main reason they die is because the get so dehydrated, they throw up and have diarhea and refuse to drink or eat anything. the vet should not have released him/her, the dog should be on an iv to keep it hydrated. The best way to prevent parvo is obviously to get its shots, but to keep the puppy at home til it does have its shot. if your current dog has parvo and has thrown up or poo'd you will now have the parvo virus in your soil and need to pour bleach on the spots to try and kill it. parvo can be spread very easily, if you ran it over with a car tire, or stepped in it, you can trail it wherever you go. parvo will also lie dormant in cold weather. its best not to bring any more dogs onto the property until they have already had their shots. young and older dogs are more likely to get it than mid age dogs.

Good luck, and I hope the puppy pulls through.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I had a golden retriever puppy who got Parvo and thankfully he made it through. He lived to be 10. Not a common outcome I am sorry to say, but possible. People always want to bring puppies out to show because they are so cute (myself included) but my experience is the less interaction out and about (especially before all their shots) the better. I have four adult Goldens now and a new puppy (4mths old). ......we have only ventured out for minimal outings. Keep the dog hydrated and get him the best care you can. I hope your outcome is like mine was. :)

blessed521

Answer by blessed521 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• A puppy with parvo is kinda fifty fifty. I'm surprised your vet released your puppy from the hospital if he was not all the way well. The signs are extreme lethargy, vomiting, bloody diarrhea and possibly dehydration and anemia. Your puppy, if he is still having these symptoms needs to back in your vets care for supportive treatment. There is no cure but they have things they can do to help their little bodies cope with the virus.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2009