kind of nervous taking him to the beach..

my son has tubes in his ears, which means he can't swim in any dirty water.. like the beach for example. i want to take him because i know he'll have tons of fun in the sand and putting his feet in the water but im scared he's going to accidentally fall in the water or something and get the dirty water in his ears. he will NOT let me put earplugs in either. i mean obviously ill be watching him but what if i turn my head for a second and he's in the water? i really don't want to deal with his ear infections again, what a PAIN! suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Dont take him, the chance that he will get in the water is VERY HIGH, waves are famous for knocking people off their feet, even in shallow water, and the sand coming from under is feet is another way he can fall in the water. If he wont let you put plugs in his ears I wouldnt risk it, he is young and unstable on his feet anyways.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• more than likely he won't want to go in the water seeing as how it's moving back and forth toward him. my son LOVES water, unless of course, someone is dunking freezing cold water on his head, then he's not a fan. i took him to the beach, and he stood at the edge, but would not let the water touch him. he was fascinated though, laughing and pointing. and he really like the sand. he's got tubes in his ears also. so i wouldn't worry about it.
    Anonymous

• go into the water with him, don't turn your head when he is anywhere near it. just make sure you only let him go to where the waves are breaking and hold his hand so if he does fall you can pull him up quickly. if he keeps asking to go further explain he can go if he lets you put the earplugs in and he keeps them in. my daughter has never once tried to go further than where we are on her own, and shes a daredevil, shes never once made a break for the water either, and we live 20 mins from the beach, so even in the winter if its not too cold we go to walk the boardwalk and play in the sand so shes had plenty of opportunity
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I took my daughter to the beach last month for the first time. I didn't want her in the water either. She could of if she would of wanted to of course. But mostly she was scared of the water. We were to busy building sandcastles(she would help UNbuild them) and collecting seashells and flying our 1$ kite anyways. If you don't want him in the water, distract him with all the other fun things to do at the beach.
    Frito

Answer by Frito at 9:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2009