so.. which is more effective?

i've seen people try to lose weight several different ways, for example.. cutting out carbs, cutting calories, cutting fat.. but which is more effective?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I think cutting calories is the most effective way. Cutting carbs sends your body into ketosis and it shuts down, thinks you are sick, and eventually stores everything you eat. Not something that is good for the long run. Fat can be deceiving. Their are good fats and bad fats, for instance, nuts and avocados. A lot of people will steer clear of all fats, when in actuality their bodies need that good fat. Cutting calories if done properly is the right thing to do. You need to make sure you are not eating empty calories from things like soda and candy. Making sure that you are eating nutritious meals that fill you up and fill up your caloric intake for the day is the best way to go.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 6:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I absolutely agree with the PP.
    Anonymous

• you need carbs. What worked for me was eating complex carbs (whole grains, fruits and veggies)...cut out BAD carbs (junk, white flour, etc)
    Low calories and low sodium.
    No pork and limited amount of beef. Mostly chicken and fish
    no fried foods.
    And sipping on nothing but WATER 24/7.

Lost over 30 in 5 months. (started January). I also incorporated exercise with this.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Portion control, moderation, and just not eating Crap!
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 11:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• cut back on carbs, cut out junk food, eat in moderation, and use a hunger scale/ eat at 0 stop at 5, try not to get to 10. And don't forget to exercise!!!
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 11:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• EXERCISE. I eat what i want in small portions but exercise EVERY day, even if it's only for 15 minutes. and when i say small portions, i probably eat about 1000 to 1200 calories a day, so if i eat something high in calorie for lunch i eat salad and fruit for dinner. just have to pick and choose what i want. exercise is the key i promise!! and your supposed to drink lots of water, but i never can remember... lol good luck
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 11:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I just cut back on everything and only really eat the REAL fats/carbs/sugars rather than processed and manmade crap. (or as MUCH of the real stuff as I can with a dh who's metabolism is warp speed)

also LOTS OF WATER! water keeps you hydrated and definitely helps with weight loss

regular exercise - strength and cardio

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• The answer is none of the above. When you go on a diet, or use a diet aid, you are just putting yourself on the gain/loss rollercoaster; frustrating for you, & hard on your body. In order to get to and maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    Start with regular exercise, as simple as walking, for at least 20 min a day at least 3 times a week. Next, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Now, eat your fruits & veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 6-7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Add beans, lentils & tofu to your diet. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html. Feel free to ask me questio

Answer by rkoloms at 3:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Cutting calories is best but other ways work too. My son lost 60 lbs on Adkins and has kept it off for 2 yrs with no extra exercise.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Just don't diet. Make healthy choices. Check out my profile you will not be disappointed. Good luck.
    Advocare_Mom

Answer by Advocare_Mom at 1:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2009