Chores for a 6 yr old?

What do you think would be good chores for my 6 yr Old DD?

ccspiratemama

Asked by ccspiratemama at 6:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 6 year old daughter has to make sure her room is clean every night at bedtime. She has to take her dirty clothes to the laundry room every night. She has to put her own laundry away, empty the bathroom trash cans (weekly), she helps dust, vacuums (not very good, but she's learning). She tries sweeping and mopping and she helps me clean out the car. She earns a "commission" for the things that she does, so if she neglects to do them, she doesn't earn very much. I have the price set pretty low on her jobs, like 10 cents for most things, 25 cents for vacuuming, dusting, sweeping and mopping. The things that she does consistently are her room and taking her dirty clothes to the laundry room. She likes earning money and saving it up to buy a toy of her choice.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• our 6 year old is responsible for making his bed, putting away his clean clothes and keeping his room picked up on a day basis. He also has one "big" chore every day (Mon-Fri) Monday he dusts, Tues and Fri he sweeps the kitchen, Wed he empties the bathroom trash and Thurs. him and his 8 yr old brother clean their clubhouse together.

He LOVES checking the chores off the list and collecting his commission at the end of the week. (He also gives 10% of his money to charity, saves 30% and he can spend the other 60%)

Kids are never too young to learn the value of hard work and money. He really is proud of what he accomplishes and he earns the extra toys he wants.
    Anonymous

• cleaning her own room, making her bed, putting away her clothes, and maybe sweeping the kitchen floor if she can handle the broom...LOL, the small things to start out with and get her a reward chart. It will make her feel good about her accomplishments.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Cleaning up after 'yourself' is an appropriate at any age chore--- Unless your daughter is one of the one in one trillion of children that actually follow this chore without being told, I'm sure there are many things you can find around the home that she's neglected.

If she wants to do more, let her help beside you with most anything! - It's a great learning experience whenever you share anything with your child, even chores.

If you want her to 'earn allowance' --- and the joys of 'give and take' ---- you can start off with small amounts and kids will then see some value in the hardwork 'pays' off cycle of things.

Don't have allowance money? --- My kids earn things other things like 'going for a park picnic' ---and 'beach trips' ---I'm sure you can think of other rewards!

Hope this helps! *Smiles*

PinkSodaPop

Answer by PinkSodaPop at 6:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Cleaning up her toys. Making her bed and also helping change it. Washing some dishes or loading the dishwasher. Putting away the flatware. Folding some of the clothes. folding and hanging her own clothes.

Emptying the waste cans into one central can. replacing the plastic bags in them.

My granddaughter loves mopping the kitchen floor- she uses the swiffer pads. I let her do her thing, I don't let her know that I clean it myself to make sure all the corners are taken care of.

She could set the table and help clear it, too.

It is good for children to understand that everyone in a household contributes to the household chores and also benefits from the household benefits- such as food and clothing, allowance, and fun times, too.

Answer by Bmat at 7:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• She is pretty good about cleaning up after herself, for the most part, but the things she misses could be a good one, Thank you!!
    Unfortunatly my kitchen is about the size of a refrigerartor box laid on its side (the only bad thing about the new place- a TINY kitchen)
    I think maybe having her feed the cats would be good, and helping me put away laundry?
    ccspiratemama

Answer by ccspiratemama at 7:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• ALL OF THE ABOVE! Jeez, when I was growing up it was my job to clean the bathroom and I didn't even get paid for it! Well, I take that back, I didn't get an allowance but I never wanted for anything either...
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Around here, 6yo's can clean the bathroom all the way, load/unload the dishes, dry fold and put away laundry, feed pets and clean up after them, sweep, mop, organize younger children to help them clean a room, cook in the toaster oven and microwave, set and clear the table, carry in and put away groceries, take out trash, make beds, dust, and babysit for short periods of time while I shower (for instance). Don't underestimate. Just teach her how to do what you want her to do and then let her do it and hold her accountable to do it the way you instructed her.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I have started using Handipoints.com it lets the child earn points for an online pet & games by doing chores or not doing certain behaviors. If your child can play on the computer then this might be for you. Oh and it's a free membership ( or you can pay for better options)
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 9:13 AM on Jun. 20, 2009