For those who say "all paths lead to God" What say you about this scripture?

John 14:6

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Also in the book of Romans one will find comfirmation that one cannot be saved unless they repent and accept Jesus Christ as Lord and savoir.

Does that offend you? If you say you are Christian and those scripture offend you or you do not believe them ......why?

I do not want to argue just curious is all.

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 6:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good verses sister!  Blessings :)

JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 7:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I don't think all paths lead to God or there would be no hell.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 7:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I believe John 14:6 no disagreement here.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 7:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Scripture does not offend me.

A Universalist looks at all religions as a whole and how they coincide together, many believing that all are of the same God just worshipping him in different ways as he has revealed himself to different people. A Universalist may not look at individual scripture verses and take them as literally as a Christian might, they do not tend to believe that the Bible is infallable.

A Christian Universalist , well, maybe bandgeek can chime in here and tell you about that.

I am a Universal Electionist (a form of Christian Universalism). I believe that if God is omnipotent, surely he has control over who enters the gates of heaven. That being said, I believe that God chooses everyone, desiring that none of his creation should perish. Whether you accept him in this life or upon death at judgement, faith in God is always inevitable and therefore a place in heaven is inevitable as well (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The way to heaven was indeed created by Jesus and he is indeed the only way. My Universal beliefs are that all religions serve their purpose here on earth but perhaps not all are not necessarily following God. However, no matter how you lived your life, your faith in the end redeems you.

I've had many a friend taken-aback by my beliefs asking me "even *insert bad person here*?" My response is that we cannot interpret how an awesome and holy being veiws ANY person's sin and how he might see ANY person that chooses to repent and have faith through the blood of Jesus Christ, regardless of being "good" or "bad" on earth. It is not our place to judge, although there are loads of evil people I'd like to send to the pit of hell if I could. Thank God it isn't up to me. Christ clearly says that judging others is not our place but FORGIVING THEM (if we expect to be forgiven) IS.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• That is what I thought november that it is Univeralists who believe all paths lead to God.I don't believe that way because yes I believe the Holy Bible to be the innerant word of God.I do too believe in death bed salvation though.Some believe you MUST be baptised as well.I do not..I do think if we have the chance we should be baptised after repentence and accepting Jesus but if one is on their deathbed and repent and accepts Christ before death I do believe they are saved.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I am not offended by scripture. But to me it is just words from a fairy tale. So those words hold no value.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Yeah 2 I guess I should of presented this solely to those who claim Christianity.That is what I am curious about how one believes they can be Christian without accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and savoir and believes all other paths lead to God as well.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I am a Christian Universalist (I love that term, NL - Universal Electionist, that's neat!), and that passage does not offend me (and I'm not going to search for the other passage in Romans), as I merely interpret it differently than you do. I interpret it as one must learn to live by Christ's message (love, compassion, forgiveness, service to God), which can be found in other religions as well, not necessarily that one must claim Christ him/herself, although many other religions (such as Islam and even Hinduism) respect and learn from Jesus. (did you know some Hindus consider Him an avatar of Krishna?)
    I also believe that, when standing before God, it will be inevitable that we will bow before Him and repent, and I don't believe that even then it is too late. Like NL says, "Whether you accept him in this life or upon death at judgement, faith in God is always inevitable and therefore a place in heaven is inevitable as well."
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Also, I believe that God's love is both perfect and unconditional, and in that case, for hell even to exist puts conditions and exceptions on His love, making it neither unconditional nor perfect, as a perfect love, at least as God explains in the Bible and says He expects from us, is always forgiving, is always compassionate, and is completely selfless. And I don't believe God would expect that from us if He, Himself, were not willing to commit to the same.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2009