Propel?

I usually only give dd water and milk. We went on a trip and my MIL gave dd a lot of juice. It made her break up in a horrible diaper rash. Anyway that has cleared up, and she asks for juice all the time. I don't want to give it to her. Have any of you moms put a small amount of propel mix in there toddler's water and told them it was juice? Do you think it is okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I don't use the Propel or other drink mixes with artifical sweetners,they are worse for you than sugar. Try Juicy Juice (100%), stay away from citurs juices, the acid in them causes the diaper rash. You could also cut up lemons, limes, oranges and cucumbers and put the slices in the water to give them a little taste. You could also try iced tea (no sugar) or putting a little juice in the water for flavor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i gave my daughter that once b/c it was soo hot outside and the store was sold out of water so i bought that and she had horrible diarehhea (sorry about spelling) anyways, try giving 1/4 water to 3/4 juice that shouldn't have as bad of a reaction that just straight juice does.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I would not give a child Propel because of the artifical ingredients, which are not healthy for growing bodies & minds. Instead, why not offer the juice, but water it down? if she won't take it at first, she may go back to the water, or you can slowly cut down the juice until you are only giving her half juice & half water (or whatever amount of juice is needed to give the water a little bit of flavor to satisfy your daughter).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• When DS was little and even still to this day I only buy 100% juice and do 3/4 WATER to 1/4 juice. There is no need for any more than that. Little kids dont need sugar or any of that stuff, water is perfectly healthy for them, I only add the juice ever here and there to add a little flavor because water gets boring after a while. lol
    mykeeper

Answer by mykeeper at 7:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Thanks for the info. After doing some research I will definitely not be giving that to my dd. I always make sure to dilute the juice and still get the same results. Have either of you had better luck with a particular flavor or brand?
    Anonymous

• Avoid apple juice if cut it is still breaking her out. Try white grape, Does she have issues with citrus? The problems some kids have with juice is so many of them are acid based. Have you considered the flavored waters. Capri Sun makes one that is great. The kids think its a real treat and it is essentially flavored water. Most have little to no atrificial ingredients.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• the capri sun waters are great, my daughter loves them. try a diff type of juice like grneyedgrandma said. and gerber makes juice specifically for toddlers and infants, it is more juice than sugars and is geared towards their little tummies compared to other brands of juice. its more costly and smaller bottles but if she doesn't drink alot of juice than it won't add up too quickly. my daughter drank only those types of juices from the time she started to drink juice til she was about 19 months old, and even those i still watered down just b/c i didn't want her to get a sweet tooth so young
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It seems to be apple juice that bothers her and it is all I give her as well. I will definitely try the white grape juice, then the gerber juices. Thanks so much for your input.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't do propel. I would either go back to no juice (you ARE the mother) or just add a little real juice into her water cups.

Gerber juices are a waste of money because for less than they cost, you can buy a can of Juicy Juice and water it down yourself. (gerber juices are just regular juice already watered down).

Apple juice gives my kids the runs, and when my three year old was in diapers up until last year, the runs is what gave him diaper rash, not the juice. He does however have a huge problem with citrus! Definitely watch out for citrus reactions! ICK,
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Past the age of two, the only beverage a human needs is water. The artificial colors, sugars and pesticides can be quite damaging.
    You can slice up fruits and vegetables to give water some flavor. You can may icecubes with blueberry "eyeballs" for kids.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2009