• In the Spotlight:

When is good to introduce baby cereal?

My daughter is 5 weeks old. when is a good time to start mixing baby cereal in her formula?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 7:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a GREAT pediatrician, who I call with all of these questions. My son is 3 and a half months old and I asked when should we introduce cereal. He said NO EARLIER THAN 4 MONTHS, and then it should be small amounts added to the bottle at first, not spoon feeding quite yet. He said studies have shown that the earlier a child is introduced to solids, the more likely they will develop food allergies. So, I am doing what he says for now. My friend who had a baby 6 days after me is already feeding her baby cereal with a spoon. I say go with whatever your doc says is best, that's what I did. So many moms do things differently, you don't know who to listen to on some stuff ya know?
    irishangel81

Answer by irishangel81 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• NEVER! you don't mix cereal in the bottle, you give it to them with a spoon. the EARLIEST is 4 months, but recommended not to start until 6 months. and that's just cereal. baby food is after 6 months. doctors just go with 4 months so they don't have to hear the mom's complaining...
    Anonymous

• oh and they're not ready if they still have that tongue reflux, where they push things out with their tongue
    Anonymous

• i thought you mixed the cereal with formula or breast milk? i didnt mean put it in the bottle
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 7:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• you do mix it with formla or breastmilk hon, but not before 4 months. Their little tummies cant take it. alot of moms will say they gave it to their babies and thats great it worked out for them, but =most babies will throw it up. At best they will be gassy and cranly, my 9 week old was eating small amounts of cereal for a medical issue and I stopped and doc agreed as he got very sick. bad news, wait mom.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• 4 months they can eat cereal, and one new vegetable, or fruit per week if possible to make sure the baby does not have alergies...dont put in the bottle...feed by spoon...
    safan

Answer by safan at 7:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• We don't introduce anything until about 8 months, no cereal, no baby food nothing. Our kids have all been so sensitive to food, and MY KIDS bellies just couldn't handle anything. So now we don't even bother. Our new baby will just have breast until about 8 months.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 8:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• 8 weeks DD was on cereal in the bottle, 12 weeks she was taking it from a spoon. she had REFLUX so doc said to do it to help her from vomiting and shes just fine. oh and that full belly helped her sleep too
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 9:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2009