my 1 year old is sick

Hello, my son who is 1 years old is sick, im pretty sure it a cold. He has a nasty cough, watery eyes, and a slight fever 100.4 im not sure if i should take him to ugernt care, i worried about an ear infection. I been giving him tylenol, lots of fuilds. he isnt eatting like he normially does. Should i take him to the doctor? what else could i do?

DilsMommy

Asked by DilsMommy at 7:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well i am glad i took him, he does have a ear infection, cold, and pink eye because of the cold. poor baby :(
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 10:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• also is lemon and honey ok for a 14 month old?
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 7:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• If he isn't vomiting they will more than likely send you home. You can give tylenol and motrin at the same time. You might want to smell his ears. Normally you can smell if they are infected, are they red? Is he pulling on them?
    When my dd is sick I give motrin and tylenol, I take showers with her. In addition before bed I rub vicks on her feet and put socks over it. You can also try little noses nose aspirators. It actually flushes there nasal passages with saline. More affective than the bulb syringe I think. They have it at most pharmacies. Sorry he is sick!
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 7:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• they say its nothing to worry about until the fever is like 104. its normal for his eating habits to decrease because he's sick. so make sure he gets lots of fluids! just watch how he sleeps at night because if he keeps waking up crying and cant seem to get his head comfortable on the pillow it could be an ear infection. you could just give your doctor a call and see what he says, it will save you a trip over there.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 7:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't give honey since it isn't pasteurized. Lemon is okay.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 7:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• for honey you are supposed to wait til they are 2 i think, just b/c of the thickness of it its hard to swallow. as far as not eating like he normally does, that is normal for kids who are sick, as adults we do the same thing. if the tyelenol doesn't bring down the fever try motrin some kids don't react to one or the other at all. just keep him comfy, a nice bath, a humidifier should help w/the runny nose, use the suction bulb to help him clear it up. if it doesn't get better tomorrow sometime i would take him to urgent care, but if it just started today or yesterday it takes them a day or two to kick the icky symptoms and get back to normal for a cold. an ear infection the fever (for my dd) lasts the whole time, as well as the poor eating so that is how i can tell the difference and know if she needs to go in
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It sounds like a normal cold, I wouldn't take him to the dr. yet. For the cough run a hot shower with the door closed and sit in there for about 15 minutes. The steam will help with the cough. Everything else your doing sounds great. My kids had several ear infections and only ended up on antibiotics for one of them. I'm not sure about lemon and honey. I know since he's over 1 he can have honey but it might be to much for such a little guy (at least if you do it like we do - just mix the lemon and honey nothing else) Good luck and I hope he feels better.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I would just keep an eye on him, if he starts having high fevers or seems to be getting a lot worse then I would bring him in.
    You could give Motrin as well for comfot and fever, humidifier in his room at night
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• u should take him to see a doctor . hes not eating bc hes sick.
    Anonymous

• Even if ur childs fever reaches 104 a dr still will most likely tell u to simply rest & give tylanol. One thing to keep in mind is that a seizure does not occur with how high a temp is but rather how quickly a temp burns up (when my DD had 104 temp during flu sesaon I was calling the on call dr all the time worried about her temp being so high & seziures & he explained that to me). Keep ur child hydrated gatorade is good for that & cheap then that pedialite (sp) that does the same thing. When my DD is sick she also does not eat like she normally does she usually just nibbles. I would continue to do what ur doing make sure he gets plenty of rest & if things take a turn for worse then take him to the ER or call ur on call dr, ur his mom & know when u think its time to go to the ER. Hope he feels better soon :)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2009