Can I get foodstamps if I am babysitting and getting paid cash?

I make really good money babysitting and I don't have to pay childcare. But it is all cash. Since my husband left me I need help. I do plan on getting a weekend job but how will foodstamps and WIC work since I am not filing taxes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• well you could just not claim it, say you are not working but if you get caught you have to pay it all back and not get benefits of any kind for 7 yrs. Call your local wic and food stamps offices and anonymously ask them.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• If you "make really good money" babysitting, then you don't need to mooch off the system. Seriously, there are people out there who really need the benefits. And you plan on getting a part-time job on the weekends right? Try cutting back on some bills if things are tight. You don't need cable and text on a cellphone or internet.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 7:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• there's a section on their applications for sources of income...I would count the babysitting as that, but not necessarily as "employment".
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• you can claim it. but be careful dss gets sneaky and can call the parents of the children you keep to ask them specifically how much they pay you...so if you claim it, because theyre gonna want to know how your paying your rent and other bills, just tell them that you babysit randomly..not necessarily the same kids ALL The time....GL

Anonymous

• as long as you make within the requirements for your family size then you can get them. They specifically ask if you've had any loans, gifts, cash, etc. As long as you report the correct amount, cash or not, && still meet the requirements then they don't care if you file taxes or not.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• YES BUT DON'T TELL THEM YOU ARE WORKING, TELL THEM YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A JOB.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 9:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Stop lying! Stop letting your kids know that lying is ok.
    Why aren't you claiming your income? The rest of us work hard and pay our taxes. Why do you think that it is ok to cheat all of us and lie about your income?
    Anonymous

• I don't think she's a liar!!! You should report it if it's $600 or more. It's not going to affect you getting foodstamps and you probly wont have to pay anything in, but you should still claim it. Alot of foodshare programs ask you to do community service if you don't claim work.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2009