What do you think of this post?

I saw it on a forum today and got to wondering. Do you think it's real?

"Hello everyone, I am a member of Anonymous. This group is hard to define as one thing. We are internet vigilantes, hackers, protesters, and much much more.

What kind of good could come from this, thats probably what your thinking right now. Such a question is understandable. The truthful answer is that neither pure good or bad come from it. The name Anon is open to anyone and it is the majority that influence what happens.

We have taken down a pedophile, we fight against a cult, and we make sure the intarwebz (or real life for that matter) never gets boring.

If you want to make a difference for the better, and have a little bit of fun on the side email capeanoncell@hotmail.com"

Were waiting, so contact us now. "

Is this really hackers and do they really advertise this blatently?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Either it is someone trying to be funny, or someone who is really a hacker and knows that no one will believe it because they don't think it's real. I would like to know what pedophile and "cult" they have taken down though and if they are just referring to here on CM or other sites as well. And, I also find it odd that you posted anon. Humm....
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• actually I vaguely recall a story where perhaps the leader of this group was actually identified...hmm let me see if I can find it again...

OK - well real quick I'm not finding the article which showed them 'outting' one of the leaders - however it is a real group - they wear masks and protest in front of Scientology bldgs and the like...

Google Anonomous Protest Group + Scientology and you'll find lots of news articles and pics of the demonstrations...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• so Ashley the "cult" would be the Church of Scientology -- to them....
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Darn - I'm like slow on the uptake tonight; sorry for the back to back replies - if I could 'edit' I would...

OP - they aren't "hackers" out creating random destruction...they hack sites of people they protest...ie: they'll screw up the Scientology main web page to say something offensive to the Scientologists; etc...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• OP Here.. I always post Anon. It's just me. Actually I found this on my local area's Topix.net. You can look at it for yourself at:

http://www.topix.net/forum/city/cape-girardeau-mo
    Anonymous