I really don't know what to title this

I just realized I get really depressed, cranky and moody when I haven't listened to music in awhile. I fear a family history of bi-polar (we suspect in certain people but they refuse to seek treatment) and I know I have autism. But I dunno if that would account for this. Is there something that would account for feeling better after listening to music?

Like I seriously was depressed and didn't know what to do and then my son turned on music and now I feel 100% better. And I realized that I haven't listened to music and months and I have been depressed for months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Health

• It is interesting. I'm not sure it would fall under any particular heading in a psychological evaluation but music has been proven to have a major effect on mood. If you don't believe that, try watching a suspense movie with the sound turned off. It isn't nearly as scary b/c you don't have that creepy background music. Music can bring you up (think show tunes) or bring you down (a funeral hymn). I know I used to listen to the radio on the way to school (years ago) & listened to a lot of country music. One day, I decided to listen to more contemporary worship type music & I noticed my mood improved a lot. If you have discovered this about yourself, I would make it a point to do your own musical therapy every day.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Music can drasticly effect my mood. Lack of music, I don't really know because I never go a day without it lol. But whatever type of music i'm listening too I seem to take on that mood. I have been diagnosed with recurrent major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder and suspected borderline personality. I'm not just like that with music though. My personality will completely morph into the same as those around me as well without me really consciously doing it. Put me in a room full of well educated uppity housewives and i'll fit right in. Put me in a room with a bunch of pothead drunks i'll fit in there as well. It's very odd....and disconcerning. I never know who i am.
    Anonymous

• Music does affect mood. I have a theory that the reason rhythm is so important to calm people is that in the womb we have the rhythm of the mother's heart all the time. So I think that music, rhythm, carries us back to the comfort of the womb.

Answer by Bmat at 8:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• OP here - I know music can affect people and that is why they use it like they do in movies. I use to play the flute all the time too. I just didn't know if it causing you to feel better no matter the type of music was a sign of some type of mental condition or anything.

Anon @8:38, that sounds just like me.
    Anonymous

• Music is so theraputic for many different disorders and moods. If you find that music helps, then keep music on in the backgroud all the time. If you are worried about mental illness, then get an evaluated to put your mind at ease. I wish you the best of luck and keep that music playing. You could even start playing the flute again.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2009