the difference between raising boys and girls

those of you that have both and they are a little older, like teens or preteens (those that they are younger too but the older they are the more diff they get) what are the major differences? my dd is 3 1/2 and my son is 4 weeks so i'm just wondering what to expect from him i guess. i know what to expect from her as she gets older, but no clue what to expect from boys. so from this age on up (especially puberty that part scares me, i know what she'll be going through but not him and that bugs me) what can i expect to be the major diff? guess i'm just bored b/c she is playing with her uncle and he's napping and this is what i think about at 4 a.m. when he won't sleep...:)

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 8:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• does he have a father figurein his life? but I remember from sex ed is boys get "wet dreams" they ejacullate in their sleep basically at the begining of puberty changes
    voice start to crack and then deeper
    LOL thats all I really remember and I just found out Im having a boy and when this baby reaches "wet dream" stage I dont wanna be the one to talk about it

but if you are a single parent Im sure u'll be able to do some self education and bring it up casually when he's going thru puberty...
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I don't know a lot about raising girls,  I have 4 boys. My oldest is going through puberty, the youngest is 22 months. One thing that shocked me is boys love their pee pees! From the time they realize it's there they pull it, rub it, flick it.... as long as they're touching it they're happy! It dies down from around 5 til they are about 11, but they still do it, just more discreetly.

Also.... boys get dirty. I feel the need to announce the time of my LOs last bath every time we go out... I swear he sweats dirt!

And boys are rough! They push, shove, wrestle, etc. And if you tell them not to they look at you like you're crazy.

My boys are all very different, but they are all guilty of all of these typically boy behaviors!

And people say girls are harder, but I really don't think so. Not when they're young!

Good luck!! Boys are fun!

drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Okay..I just read your response about little boys and how they pull, flick, rub, etc..down there..that is sooo funny because my son, almost 3 1/2 years old - and in the last 2 months or so, he is ALWAYS messing around down there! Sometimes it's like he doesn't even realize it..He'll be watching Diego and just start pulling on it..and it's worse when he sits on the potty and is trying to pee, he'll just start pulling really hard on it! Im actually relieved to hear that that is normal..It started to freak me out a little bit..I would tell him, in a light hearted way, to stop it...I guess I should just let him continue doing his thing..Who knew they started so early! HA!
    16paws

Answer by 16paws at 10:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• lol.... you still gotta let them know it's not appropriate! My boys would whip it out anywhere when they were toddlers. They eventually realized it's not appropriate to play with it in public. But my 12 year old has recently started touching it all the time. I just told him to stop playing with himself a few times and it's stopped.... around me, anyway! I don't care how much he touches it, as long as I don't have to see it!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• he has a father figure so i'm not worried about having to have talks or anything with him, it just bothers me that at some point i won't get what he's going through.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:32 AM on Jun. 20, 2009