• In the Spotlight:

Surely not all men are clueless...

I have my 10 month old all day, every day, and only rarely does he get hurt. It just seems like in the time I'm cooking dinner while his dad is watching him, he always gets hurt. Tonight dad was letting our 4 year old hold the baby's hands to help him walk, and he fell and hit his head on the hardwood floor. Duh!!! Letting a 4 yo do that? Sometimes I think the baby would be safer if I just carried him around the house with me or kept him in his high chair even when dad is home!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• But that cluelessness is what is the major difference between Moms & Dads. Children need their Moms to cuddle them & teach them gentle manners. They need their Dads to rough house & go a little wild with them. As long as he isn't doing anything that is seriously going to hurt the child, let him be. A few tumbles aren't going to hurt your children--they are a lot tougher than they look. You can't protect them all the time. Children need to explore & figure out their world & sometimes that includes getting hurt.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i think they are all clueless. and then when they aren't clueless they want to be the fun wrestle on the floor dad not the dad that says no. they think it doesn't bother us b/c we are with them more so we are used to being the ones to say no you can't do that its not safe, and just suffering through the tantrums. they don't want their kids to not like them. thats the only reason i can come up with for my husband aside from stupidity
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Geez, lighten up on the guy. It isn't like he's crashed out on the couch with a whiskey in his hand. Guys parent differently. If my husband wasn't there I would have the 3 biggest mommas boys in the state. He does things with them I would never consider. Kids need that.
    Anonymous

• Most men just don't understand about babies. I think that a lot of them try, but they just don't get it.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

i agree. and what's wrong with a 4 year old helping him walk around?my 2 year old helps my 10 month old with everything. she's fallen plenty of times, so it's not just men. my dh has taken my son fishing, horseback riding, ect, all when he was only 1yrs old. he's deployed now, or he'd take both of them. well, not horesback riding for the young one, not yet, but it's gonna happen lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2009