mosquitoes

all over my porch, i mean i go outside for 5 mins and i've got at least 3 bites, they've never been this bad before. and i don't notice them on other peoples porchs or yards, not this badly. we have a birdbath by the porch but its been there for years and never been a problem. so what else attracts mosquitoes besides water, and are there any plants or anything that i can put out there permanently to repel them? i'm sick of lighting citronella candles in the middle of the day so that my daughter can play, and my son is too young for bug spray so i can't take him out at all and shes 3 1/2 and wants to be outside.

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 8:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Get rid of any standing water even puddles. They have these new clip on things at walmat where the bug spray is that is supposed to help keep them away, and I think it is safe for any age. Try those. Also try not to wear any sweet smelling lotion of perfumes they attract them.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The birdbath is the breeding ground! It should be emptied and refilled several times a week. If you have plants on your porch with drainage dishes that collect water, and have had a lot of rain recently, that too could be a source for mosquitoes. If you see little "tadpole" looking critters in standing water...those are mosquitoes!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• We use a bug spray called Buzz Away by Quantum. It is (relatively) safe; we started putting it on my daughter at about 10 months old.
    Before buying or selling any skin care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce). www.ewg.org
    Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their products.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:32 AM on Jun. 20, 2009