How do I get my Two year old son to help at clean up time?

I am a child care giver and when it comes time to pick up my son does the oppisite and takes the toys out, making the other kids upset at the lack of help. Iknow i cant always use his age as an excuse, is there anyway to get him involved in putting toys away.

born2Bwild

Asked by born2Bwild at 8:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sing the clean up song, have him mimick you. they like to do what mommy is doing alot
    Anonymous

• Sing a song, "Clean up clean up, everybody clean up" and make sure he helps. Also tell him he is helping you and you sure are proud of your big boy. If that doesn't work, you're going to have to make him clean.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Maybe try a song? My girls and I always sing the "clean up song" form Barney lol. Thats how they learned to put their toys away. Or you could put on a cd and have a certain song come on that would mean its time to clean up.
    marinewifey25

Answer by marinewifey25 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• yup the clean up song taught my daughter to clean "clean up clean up, everybody everywhere, clean up clean up, everybody do your share" and she would sing it and help pick up her toys.
    you could also make a game of it, who can pick up the most leggos the quickest etc...that is what i do on days that she doesn't want to clean. and now shes 3 1/2 on the really bad days, i tell her that if she leaves stuff out or doesn't at least help clean up, than her toys go into the trash, i'll pick up a toy and walk out the door and stay there til i see her start to pick up. she only had to lose one toy to realize that i wasn't joking and would throw them out. (and i didn't even throw it out, waste of money, i put it in the car for 2 weeks and brought it in when she was asleep one night so she wouldn't realize it)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I always sing the clean up song and then in my most exciting voice tell my daughter what we get to do after we clean. Sometimes I even have to take her by the hand and start her with the process. I try to make it fun, but sometimes that is hard to do when you are in a hurry. Lots of praises....You are such a good helper, lets tell daddy what a good helper you are, we can call grandma and tell her what a great helper you are....switch it up.
    themac6

Answer by themac6 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Oh yeah, one more thing,...during the clean up song ...I put in my daughter's name for everybody. instead of everybody needs to do her share, I sing Sarah needs to do her share and then switch out names with whoever is helping.
    themac6

Answer by themac6 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• As the others have stated, sing some type of clean up song. Also, instead of just saying, "It is time to clean up." Tell him specifically that his job is to clean up the cars on that day and you want to see how many cars he can pick up before the song is over. Make it fun and give him a basket or box or some container to put them in. You could even label the containers with pictures of that toy on it. If you just tell kids to clean up, chances are that they feel overwelmed with how much there is to clean up.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I would really focus on it when the other kids aren't around. When you're home with him, practice clean up time when you can give him all your attention and work with him on it. Like every night before bath time, or whenever you aren't responsible for other kids.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:17 AM on Jun. 20, 2009