breastmilk

i hear u can pump and store milk before the baby comes so that u can feed the baby in the hospital...when should u start pumping to store it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just curious but why wouldnt you just nurse in the hospital? Not to mention, I know for me, my milk doesnt come in until AFTER the baby is born and pumping can stimulate labor.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 8:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• yeah i agree. I didnt pump until after my due date and was trying to stimulate labor(upon midwfie advice). You need to be really careful with pumping because it can put you into labor. My milk didnt come in till 3/4 days later with all my kids the baby really needs the Colostrum
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 8:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my milk came in not even 24 hours after my son was born. you can pump at any time after your child is born. I drank a lot of water that is why my milk came in co fast. When I pumped I got 5 oz out on each side and you give it to the nurses and they will store it for you. Good luck with nursing I am still nursing my son and he is almost 15 months. If you need help let me know i can help you as much as possible.
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 8:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• not a good idea. you wont be pumping much since it is only colostrum and the milk comes when you nurse! why not just nurse your baby at the hospital?! I know you'll want to rest, but nursing from the breast will help establish your supply. and freezing your milk can destroy a lot of the nutrients.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I agree it isn't a good idea. Your milk will come in the 2-3 day after birth. Your baby should be put to breast right away to help establish a good nursing pattern (as quickly after birth as possible) Your baby doesn't need "milk" after birth. It needs the colostrum (first milk) that your body produces. I encourage you to look up a lactation consultant or read up :)

Try this website. It has a lot of tips and how to get started on your breastfeeding journey

SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• oh and for the record, you can feed your baby in the hospital straight from the breast. You don't have to pump it or give it to a nurse to feed in a bottle. :)
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i agree w/ smileymoo. milk will not come in until after the baby is born. you need to put the baby to the breast w/in the first hour of birth. this will help est a good nursing relationship and pattern w/ baby. the nurses don't need a bottle to feed the baby, they will bring the baby to you when it's time to nurse.
    the website she gave you is very very helpful.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2009