Is he ready to give up the sippy?

My son is almost two and we want him on a big boy cup. The only problem is that he is very active and carries his cup everywhere he goes and drinks alot, he also is to small to reach the table where the cup would be put. Our second child will be here in less than two months is it to early to start him on a big boy cup? What if the new baby makes him need his cup more, we already broke him from going to bed with a sippy, but i feel it is his only comfort item left and fear taking it away from him with the arrivial of his brother so close!?!? Please help I need addvice.

born2Bwild

Asked by born2Bwild at 8:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you think he's ready. just give him a cup and if he drinks from it, then he's ready. i give my son big boy cups only if he's sitting at the table. he gets sippy cups if he's thirsty during the day and it's not meal/snack time (which is normally once in a blue moon), or if we're out at the park or in the car. i thought it would be hard to get my son off of the binky after daddy deployed, but it was easier than i thought. just try it. it won't hurt.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my daughter is 3 1/2 she has a big girl cup at meals but throughout the day she gets her sippy. she likes to have access to a drink whenever she wants one and will just set one down on the floor and forget it til she wants some again, so i'm afraid it will spill everywhere. so she only gets big girl cups for meals and snack time when she is sitting down. on occasion she will have a big girl cup at another time of the day, but that means i have to constantly remind her to put it on the table when shes done drinking and to use two hands. too much of a hassle.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't take it from him He'll give it up when he's ready.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I would just switch him to a regular cup at mealtime, but let him carry around a sippy to stay hydrated through the day. As a mother of 2 little ones, I can assure you the last thing you want to do with a new baby in your house is constantly be cleaning up little water/milk spills... My older is just 2 now and she hardly ever spills her water cup during mealtime, but throughout the day she drinks out of a straw sippy cup.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• my son is 4.5 and carries his cup(with a straw) around him
    he can drink from a regular cup but i really don't want spilled milk everywhere-my 17 month old grabs everything that he has
    he does put the drink back in the fridge when he's done and grabs it when he nees a few sips
    so i'ld give him a regular cup at the table and the sippy when you're out someplace
    the tub is a great place to start him drinking from the regular cup or outside when it's warm because you don't have to worry about spills
    paula405

Answer by paula405 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2009