Newborn diapers

Hello ladies! I was curious....how much did your baby weigh at birth and how many days was he or she in newborn size diapers? I'm wondering how many of these I should actually buy, as I am assuming she will grow out of them pretty quickly. Right now I have a total of like over 200 diapers newborn size...is that too many?

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that's enough for now. DON'T OPEN THEM. both my kids were in size 1's when born. if you don't open them, you can exchange them for a different size, just in case.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I had like 4 packages of like 30 so you will probably be fine.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 8:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my son is 4 weeks old he weighed 7.4 lbs when he was born and just in the last few days grew out of newborn diapers. newborn diapers only go up to 8 lbs in most brands so if you have a big baby than they will be pointless. get some size 1's now that way in case they are too small when you get home you have them on hand. and don't open more than one small package that way if they are too small you can exchange them at the store or w/a friend. i don't remember how old my daughter was when she grew out of them.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my son was 8.7lbs and I used newborn diapers for a few weeks but he did lose 1lb after hew was born and gained it back in a couple of weeks. So I had like 3 weeks of newborn.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 9:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My son was 7lbs 8oz at birth. The hospital put him in size 1's right away. He wore a newborn diaper once (free sample) and he peed right thru it. I agree with the other posters, if your baby is average or above-average size she won't be in newborn diapers for long. If you have the receipts I'd exchange about half of those newborn diapers for size 1. Or if she outgrows them fast, you can craigslist them or use them as doll diapers. Best of luck with everything!
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 9:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• dd was 7lbs 14 oz at birth and was in newborn for like a week! i made the mistake of opening them (i know im an ididot) so id keep them in the pack and open the smaller packs first in case you end up getting your LO into size 1 quickly and then you can exchange them
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 9:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My oldest was 8 lb 9 oz, middle was a whopping 9 lb 10 oz(and he was 3 weeks early too!), my last was 8 lb 2 oz. My oldest was in newborns for about a week and then was in size 1. My middle was size 1 from birth- he did not fit the newborn diapers. My youngest was in them for maybe 3 weeks at most.
    If you have the reciepts I would say exchange some of the newborns for size 1.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• mine weighed 10lbs and couldnt evn fit in a newborn he came out wearing size 1
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Never used them...my girls were 9lbs 2oz and 9lbs 6oz, so I never bothered with newborn sized anything! I would say that you have more than enough and don't open the packages! If your baby outgrows them, you can exchange them for a bigger size.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My son was 6lbs 14oz when he was born. We started out with Huggies in the hospital and a pack of them at home, but I realized he was peeing out of the back and would wake up in a wet bassinet every time. We switched to Pampers and they worked amazing because they had a tighter fit. I'd say he was in size Newborn for about three weeks. Right now he's in a 1-2 of Kirkland and 2 in Huggies because they work better for holding poop in (go figure). I wouldn't go on how another baby was, even if they have the same birth weight. Every baby grows at a different pace for the most part. Don't buy any more of the newborn size, but don't open them either, just in case you need to exchange them for some 1s.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 2:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2009