3 year old keeps coming out of his room @ bed time...help..

my 3 year old learned how to move his gate so now i put him to bed and not even 10 mins later hes running havic upstaires and i put the gate up tell him dont touch and sure enough hes at it again im tired and tired of going up the staires every 10 mins how can i get him to stop? im not comfortable closing the door, what did or would you do? this is going on for a week now...im at wits end and tired..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• ok it sounds funny but we have 3 gates in the house and when she figured out she could barrel her way through it if she ran full force into it (she did this for 2 weeks) my husband got annoyed and creative one night and put a gate up then put another one on top of it. so that she couldn't barrel through it, i told him it was pointless and he was wasting his time that she'd just barrel through the bottom one and crawl under the top one, but it actually worked. so it sounds funny but its worth a shot.
    the other option i have, part of it is to close the door, put a monitor in his room so you can hear him, then get one of those things that goes on the doorknob so you can't turn it, put it on the inside of the door so he can't open it, and then before you go to bed you can open the door, but that way he stays in his room til he falls asleep.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• He needs to be reprimanded for touching the gate and getting up. A time out, a spanking, a favorite toy being taken away...etc

If he isn't being punished for doing what he is told Not to do he wont understand that he is doing anything wrong
    Anonymous

• thank u ladies.. i love the fact that when he hears me go up the staires he runs into his room like what i have been here the whole time lol. speaking of which guess who just came down?? arrgghh...
    Anonymous

• have you tried taking a book with you, and sitting in the hallway outside his room? this saves you from going up and down stairs, and then you don't have to shut his door since you're not comfortable with that. If you're sitting in the hallway then you can consistently say "not ok to touch your gate, in bed or ______ will happen" and then place him in his bed and perch yourself down with a book. Once he figures out your there he's less likely to keep getting up, especially if there's an immediate punishment, and eventually he will come to think you're sitting out there, wether you really are or not. This might be enough to make him stay in his room. My parents did that with me and my brothers when we were little, and I can remember being afraid to get out of bed cause there was a chance my mom was in the hallway which meant butt whooping for me. Most the time she wasn't there, but the thought was enough to keep me in bed
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2009