rant of a cashier ... shouldnt you know some english if ... ???

shouldnt you know some english even just a little bit to recieve benefits here in america? i was at work and i was doing the new WIC cards thru my line and this woman can thru with the old one and i tried to tell her that we dont take that one anymore . but she continued to swipe it time after time . so i said mama we dont take that one anymore. she starts yelling at me in spanish and keeps swiping it . i had to wait around for someone that knew spansih to tell this woman that we didnt take it anymore . it was ridiculous . shouldnt you know at least a little english so if need be someone CAN help you ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm hispanic but I don't speak spanish very well, I choose not to. It is however, very annoying when someone assumes because I'm hispanic that I speak it and speak it fluently. I speak English and if you want to talk to me, at least know how to say a few basic things in English, otherwise I'm walking away smiling. :]
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 10:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• popcorn

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think it should be mandatory for people to speak english here. They can still speak their language but my goodness. My Friend(a mexican girl) was hired for a job, then fired the first week because she didnt know spanish when the owner assumed since she was mexican she spoke spanish... IT bugs me to go into stores and see everything in spanish and THEN english. thats just not right.
    Anonymous

• I think you should at least have someone with you that speaks both languages.
    Anonymous

• Yea that woman should have known what you were trying to tell her or atleast snap to what she was doing and it did not take...duh!

And yes some people should know some english atleast to get around.
    Anonymous

• I think you should learn proper English grammar, before you start criticizing those who do not speak English--unless of course, you plan on being a cashier for the rest of your life!
    Anonymous

• what the hell is wrong with it ? gah anon .
    at least i can speak english and not have to stand around like an idiot because i dont understand what someone is tring to tell me .
    Anonymous

• Yes they should know.
    Anonymous

• I think basic English skills should be necessary. You wouldn't head off to Japan or Germany or something unless you could at least say Yes, No, Please, and Thank You, right? I don't understand why a lot of people come here and expect us to speak their language. (I mean that towards ANYONE from ANYWHERE. Not just Hispanic people. My fiance is Hispanic, and he speaks better English than I do.)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Lol beach.Yes OP I agree with you.The reason why is because if I were to move to another country I would learn the language.I realize that it would be in my own best interest to do so.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2009