how can i get my son to tell me when he has to go potty?

momoftoddler1

Asked by momoftoddler1 at 9:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ask every half hour if they have to go, encourage drinking water, juice or milk. If your comfortable with them being in the bathroom with you take them in.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 9:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i set the oven timer for every 20 mins it beeps we go potty and then i tell him ok your turn. and he knew when he heard that beep he knew what we would be doing after a week he didint need the timer now he comes to me and says i go pee pee mom... next step...pooping. arrggh my son is hard my dd was easy only took 1 day.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I just got done potty training my 3 yr old. Here is what we did. We went to Walmart and let him pick out his own underwear. When he did pee his pants he would be upset because we would have to wash his underwear and would have to put different ones on. With in about three day and he was telling me when he had to pee. This also worked with poop but it took almost a week. I also asked him every 10-20 min if he had to go. For poop I told him one night if he poops in the potty that we would buy him a new truck. when he didn't go he was upset and the next morning he was on a mission and pooped in the potty all by himself before I was even up. The trick I've learned is once you start DONT stop. It will take time but if he doesn't make it or pees in his pants don't treat him. only treat him when he goes. also my son thought it was way cool to flush the tolet after we emptied the potty in that. I hope this helps leauna
    Leauna

Answer by Leauna at 11:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• if he doesnt talk muck he really cant ...
    when my son started he would pee his pant or in the floor the 1 few times is like that ...
    my nurse told me to try and rewould him with something everytime he does it right ...with a sweet or something but i use an apple or fruit juice something healhy and it worked for me...

but if it doesnt work with you try asking him every few min...and keep an eye on him if his moving around and has his hands down his pants alot that mean he what to pee....give it a try and good luck
    n0emi

Answer by n0emi at 7:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2009