Did you have to be quiet in church as a kid?

Assuming you went to church as a kid =]

I did, and I hated it! They did children's church/Sunday School, then we had to go sit with the adults while they finished their sermon. We did a penny march, where us kids took buckets and marched up and down the aisles looking for people with money (tithing, of course). Then the rest of the time we had to sit and be quiet. My grandma used to give me gum. LOL.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes. I went to Catholic mass every Sunday until I left for college at 18. I remember being a kid and an hour just seemed to long!
    Anonymous

• Oh I know! My fiance grew up Catholic, and we had to go to a mass last year for the memorial of his mom's death. I was raised pentecostal, so the whole mass thing was such a huge shock to me lmao.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• depends on the age. we started going when i was 9, so yeah. but the way my church did it was we were in sunday school/childrens church the whole time the adults were in service, except for once a week. sunday night. that's when everyone, except nursery age (we actually had a nursery), and the tendants watching the babies.

I think at 2 kids can have coloring books, toys, ect. at 3, they need to be able to stand up and sing (we sing upbeat songs) and sit for as long as they can quietly. if they start fidgeting then bust out the toys. 4, they should sit a little bit longer than 3, i'd say at about 6 or 7 years old is when they can sit through service with just a coloring book. 8-9 is when you need to start teaching them to sit still and listen. JMO
    Anonymous

• hey i was raised pentecostal too!
    Anonymous

• we have a childrens church too, and it is also a very comfortable church with no big dress code or anything -Southern Baptist
    Anonymous

• Yes, it was very boring. The only thing I liked was the music. And we weren't allowed to color or have treats like the children do today, we had to sit quietly the whole time.

Answer by Bmat at 9:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Yes! Ppl would even poke me to wake up in Church when I was a Youth. LOL!
    Earth-Angel

Answer by Earth-Angel at 9:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I live in the Bible Belt. We had to dress up every Sunday. My grandparents still talk badly about people who don't dress up for church O.o
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Old-fashioned Roman Catholics ( the ones that still wear veils and knee length skirts as a rule) believe in the sanctity of the Holy Sacrement, which means once you enter the church you may not hold conversation, as you are to be humble and recieve God's message. I used to go to that type of church with my friend, and I actually liked it, it was just too far of a drive for me. They don't have much singing during the high and low masses, which I actually like..Dont get me wrong my church has an eXcellent choir, but I dont like all the music, I wanna hear God's Word. What fascinated me the most about the other church was because they all believed soundly in "the old way" they also didnt believe in birth control of any kind..They had 6 or more kids who were really well behaved, while my one kid is fidgeting, whispering to me and acting nuts... I also had to change churches for my son's sake, he likes the children's liturgy
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• catholics don't believe in bc..not just the "old" ones. as for the singing, this is why we do it:

Psalm 96:1
    O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth.

Psalm 98:1
    O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.

Psalm 149:1
    Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.

Isaiah 42:10
    Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise from the end of the earth, ye that go down to the sea, and all that is therein; the isles, and the inhabitants thereof.

you don't just hear God's word at church. you worship and praise him too
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2009