ADHD and a 5 yr old

My husband took my kids for their annual physicals today. He has concerns that my son is ADHD. i KNOW he is the one that asked and of course the doc did a test. my husband has his own issues which makes it hard for him to handle my son at times. I do not believe my son is ADHD. if he is it is mild (i taught so i know how badly ADHD can effect a child's behavior) but the doc wants to put him on medicine now. i told my husband i refuse to do it. my son is only 5! i told my dh i wanted to wait a year to see how he does in kindergarten as he only had one yr of preschool? but am i wrong to think 5 yrs old is a little young to put a child on ADHD medicine? my husband's solution to everything is "pills".

ArmyWifeMomof3

Asked by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm on your side Mom. People are rediculous with expectations of their kids at 5 he should have a 5 minute attention span THATS IT...You gotts keep em entertained and keep their minds engaged in a game book topic whith some creativity......Oh and remember the doc gets a nice trip from Merk/ Pfiser (who ever he's hooked with)
    read up on how those medications effect your kids life long liver function remember at age 5 he's gonna need that liver for an other 70 plus years!! Give a kid a break and let em be a kid
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I agree, I would also wait until he's older. At 5 yrs. old, it's too hard to tell, and I hate when docs are so quick to fork out meds when they aren't needed. My son got a spinal tap to check for meningitis, when all he had was strep. I personally would wait. He may just be fine.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 10:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My son is six now, but when he was five, he was diagnosed with ADHD. He is in the 98th percentile for being one of the worst cases. I took him to three different psychiatrists to get a second and third opinion, and had his school test him as well. The tests all came back the same. :( My husband and I agreed that we didn't want to medicate our son, and we tried hard not to. The doctors will practically shove the meds donw your throat, but don't give in. We finally allowed my son to go on Adderall at the beginning of this year, and his grades improved dramatically. He went from testing in the low 50s in the reading to 97 at the end of the school year. It has made a world of difference for my little man, BUT, I do agree with you here. You should wait and have your son tested again in the future if need be. I would probably wait and see if the teacher says anything about ADHD to you when he is in school next year. Good luck!
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 2:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• You stated that your son had only one year of pre-k. Is there a possibility that he could stay another year in pre-k? Or does he have to go one to Kindergarten? If he needs to mature and learn more about sitting and listening in a group another year would help. Kindergarten has really changed since we were kids. The amount of time spent in large groups listening and participating in teacher directed activities is amazing. Our K kids have 90 minute reading and math blocks.
    If he has to go on because of his birthdate, consider some accomadations that you think might help him and talk with his teacher about them before school starts. Maybe he needs to sit up front, close to the teacher to maintain his attention. Does he maybe need the teacher to check and see if he understands the directions after she gives them to the whole class? If you have found some things that work to help with his attention, tell the teacher
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• (continued) After you try some things and see how he does in "big school", consider later what MPWifeJessica said, I have known kids that have alot of trouble paying attention in class, that just cannot sit still no matter how hard they try. When these kids have gotten on the right meds, with the right dosage, it has been as different as night and day. Of course, your little guy has mild ADD, so hopefully some adaptations may be all he needs.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• All small children are ADHD by nature. They need some time and maturity to learn how to settle themselves. I wouldn't put a 5 year old on meds for that. He's very likely to settle down as he gets older. You will also have to guide him and teach him what is acceptable behavior.

Sure, some kids truly are ADHD, but all kids under 6 appear to be. That is far too young to diagnose a condition like that and destroy a childhood with drugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I will dare to be diffrent here..... My son is 5 years old and has been in a 2 day a week preschool at 4 then a 5 day (1/2day) program. He stuggled with being in time out alot in the first one for not being quiet or or staying still. He began to "notice" he was the only one getting in trouble alot. By the 2nd school, he was in trouble for not staying seated, quiet, and being a bit aggressive
    ( bossy, not sharing, waiting turns, hitting when angry) I noticed he was noticing that he always got in trouble. I was sad for him. My hubby has always had to take something for ADHD. He started around 8th grade and wished it had been helpped earlier in his school and friendships. So we knew our son was much more busy and head strong from the time he was two and STOOD out at playgroups and family gatherings.
    He has been on Adderall XR (small dose) since Christmas break. His teacher said it was like a new boy. (cont.)
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Cont.
    It did take a few weeks to find the right dose. I choose to lower it and allow him to still be very active. We have enjoyed watching him smile and be happy playing instead of always being in trouble. I feel the meds have helpped him be in control of himself better, not that the meds control him. He is still not perfect, no 5 year old boy is! But I have noticed he isnt in trouble as much. He hasn't been in trouble for hitting or aggression since Feb. (yahoo!)
    So NO meds. are not for everyone, but like one of the other posters said, it improved school, so why would you wait to help your child have a good education? why wait til they are behind in learning or start hating school. Why wait until thier self esteem is down because they notice they are the "bad" kid in class? Why wait til they don't have many friends because they can't play nice? We are a much happier family with our meds. ;)
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Hold your ground mom. Dr's are too quick to diagnose adhd and hand out pills. The test is a questionaire. All other possibilities need to be ruled out first. If it is a real problem, then behavioral therapy before meds. Meds should be a last resort. not the first. If you think that there may be a problem, i urge you to rule out food issues. A rast test food panel for IgE & IgG antigens can do this. All it takes is a blood draw. Took us 8 years to get the right diagnosis.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• WAIT A STINKIN' MINUTE!!!

First, find a new doctor. ADHD cannot be diagnosed by a pediatrician, nor can it be diagnosed by ONE test!! NO!!!

My son has been under the care of a psychologist since last November. He has premilinary diagnoses of PDD-NOS and ADHD, but the psychologist refuses (and I agree) to give an actual diagnosis either way until he's been in kindergarten for at LEAST a couple of months!

No, hon. I have red flags going up all over the place based on what you've written!!! One test? No. There are questionnaires for the parents to fill out, for day care providers, for teachers and anyone else constantly involved in the kid's life! The behavior has to be in all situations, not just at home or just somewhere else!

And all kids under 6 do NOT act ADHD. There is a huge difference between toddler/preschooler behavior and ADHD.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2009