Would You Send Your Child to This Day Camp?

My son takes karate lessons at a school that also has a camp in the summer. The do some karate, but also go to a local swim club, movies, bowling, amusement parks and such... It is not too expensive and a few of our neighborhood children go.

While I was driving Wednesday afternoon, I saw one of the camp vans, filled with kids, in a rush, cross the double yellow lines to pass a slower moving car on a fairly busy street. There were no other cars coming in the other direction, but if the van had waited just a little, the lanes would have opened up in less than a quarter of a mile to two lanes.

So now I don't know how comfortable I feel signing my son up at a camp where the driver/counselor doesn't care that it is illegal to pass another car over the double yellow lines in order to get a van full of kids to the movie theater on time.

My son wants to go to this camp, but I am not sure I trust these people.

Dlp11494

Asked by Dlp11494 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Report the driver and make your decision based on their response. I also would feel extremely uncomfortable if I saw that, but it's important that you report it.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Does the van have one of those "how's my driving" stickers? usually camps like that have a log book the driver has to use to sign the van in and out so you could report that specific driver as hazardous. I think if a new driver was hired i'd be ok with my son going, but I would want assurance something was done about the van driver. No traffic or not thats illegal and not safe especially with a load of children
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I didn't notice a sticker... but I asked my neighbor about it since her kids were in the van that day. The driver is one of the longtime teachers at the karate school and is one of my sons karate instructors. He is also very close to the owner. I have a feeling that if I did say something, they would blow it off... but I will anyway.

Thanks!
    Dlp11494

Answer by Dlp11494 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Nope, wouldn't sign my kid up. He endangered everyone of those children when he crossed that double line. It is a double line for a reason. And I would wonder what other thing he would do that would jeopardize those children.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 10:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My question is... how did your neighbor respond to you? Does the neighbor still feels confidence with the Karate school?
    I would talk to the owner with a concern so they will not end up with higher liability expenses down the road.
    Just follow your instinct.
    lalisweet1

Answer by lalisweet1 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I would still send them and just nicely let the camp know your concerns with the driving. Hope they made the movie!
    evy500

Answer by evy500 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2009